OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

When is enough…enough?

Started by FL-Boss, May 15, 2013, 02:39:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FL-Boss

I have been thinking about technology advancements and the roll it has play in hunting over the last 30 years or so.  I also saw an article somewhere about this as well.   It got me thinking.. at what point is the "real challenge" being taken out of the hunt? I want to hear what other hunters think. There is no right or wrong here, but I thought of some examples below..

Guns – the need for a 10ga or 3.5 12ga for turkeys -  technology with HEVI ammo and chokes have come a long way over the years. As we all know.. you can get a 20ga today with the right choke and ammo that will shoot the same (if not better) when compared to the big bore guns of years ago.  Of course the 10 and 12 ga guns shoot better as well these day.   But when is enough ..enough?  Is there really much challenge to shooting a 10 or 12ga shell with a 2.5oz payload?

Hunting Blinds is another thing.  Does anyone think blinds make it too easy?  For youth hunts, I think they are great and should be used.  But for seasoned turkey hunters ... I just don't know?

Other examples apply to deer hunting – like all the scent elimination junk, Ozone gimmicks, etc.

This past turkey season I decided to make a move back to more "basics".  I started out by not using a blind. Pretty hard for me anyways because I hunt a large track or land and go a lot of running and gunning. Next year I will be hunting with only a 20 ga.. no more 12ga. 

Small changes I feel like making.  Again.. no right or wrong here... would like to hear other thoughts..

RemingtonRules

You should do what you want to do within the regulations you have to work with.  I think the regulations should be to the benefit of the wildlife and quality hunting.

VaTuRkStOmPeR

I think each tool has it's deserved place in the arsenal but i prefer to hunt decoyless and sans blinds.  It's just a more pure form of hunting them. 

The new generation of turkey hunters really concern me, though.

They rely exclusively on blinds, decoys and field set-ups.  Can't call, don't know turkeys, dont know how to think like a turkey and don't know much about turkey hunting in general.

Onpoint

Quote from: VaTuRkStOmPeR on May 15, 2013, 04:10:45 PM
I think each tool has it's deserved place in the arsenal but i prefer to hunt decoyless and sans blinds.  It's just a more pure form of hunting them. 

The new generation of turkey hunters really concern me, though.

They rely exclusively on blinds, decoys and field set-ups.  Can't call, don't know turkeys, dont know how to think like a turkey and don't know much about turkey hunting in general.
X2

stinkpickle

If you feel it's getting too easy, there ain't nothin' wrong with challenging yourself.  That's for each person to decide on his own...because no matter how you hunt something, you can always find somebody on a high horse to tell you that you're doing it wrong.  ;)

barry

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 15, 2013, 04:55:22 PM
If you feel it's getting too easy, there ain't nothin' wrong with challenging yourself.  That's for each person to decide on his own...because no matter how you hunt something, you can always find somebody on a high horse to tell you that you're doing it wrong.  ;)

Sho' nuff Stinky! To each his own.

WildTigerTrout

IMO way too many hunters rely on blinds and decoys. I'm teaching my son to hunt turkeys "Old School" without the use of either one. I have shotguns in 10,12 and 20 gauge. At some point during the season I hunt with all of them. I do NOT however use HTL shot. I shoot good old lead. The way some guys talk I wonder how we ever killed turkeys before HTL. I wish I had a nickel for everytime I have heard "How many pellets in 10" at 40 yards"? I believe woodsmanship and calling ability are much more important than hauling all that junk to the woods. Too many guys hunt from blinds with decoys so they can drink coffee, talk, text their friends,make phone calls, move around and have a picnic. They do everything except hunt. I am proud to say my 14 year old son and I both bagged mature longbeards this spring and we did it "Old School". Sorry for the rant, just my opinion. You may agree or disagree with it. Either way that's fine.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

FL-Boss

TauntoHawk

its certainly a topic worth discussing, same can be said for archery when bows can shoot more accurate and carry more energy at 80yds than recurves could at 30
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jakesdad

This is why i've gone to hunting with the 20 gauge.Yes sometimes I use HTL,but mostly lead.I will not shoot at birds over 30 yds,i'm a how close,not how far kind of guy.Same with deer hunting.I've ditched most if not all my camo and gone with just good ol' plain earth tone colors.And I hunt with a muzzleloader,yes its a inline with a scope,I limit myself to 100 yds or less on shots(see comment above).If its legal,I really dont have trouble with people doing it,but sometimes I just shake my head and ask "why?".Thats like that show on pursuit or sportsman channel where they shoot big game at 700,800,900,or more yards with suped up rigs.Yes it takes lots of skill to hit a target at that range effectively,but why would you want to shoot a animal that far.seems like no challenge to me.seems most products designed today are to make it easier,and its slowly eating away at peoples hunting skills.too much reliance on stuff.just my .02

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Gooserbat

Yep,  We all need to hunt in a way that's first legal, second rewarding.  That's why some folks use muzzleloaders and some not, some use bows, others a 10 ga. 
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

jim67

I think it is up to you how or what you hunt with as long as its legal.I mostly use a blind but have only killed 3 birds in my life.My step son killed one,I have missed 2,my step son has missed 1 and could not get a shot at a bird I called in because I sat down wrong without a blind.I have used deer scents but not sure that they worked. I like to up my odds as much as possible but dont think it gives anybody a sure thing.BTW every bird we have killed was called in and shot out of a blind,this is because I dont have a bunch of land to walk,its kind of a luck thing to get a bird to come and be receptive.

RutnNStrutn

:agreed:

redarrow

Gotta go with to each his own.Long as its legal.No doubt the new stuff that comes out every year does make it a lot easier.I like the comfort of a blind.I don't see much difference in a pop up or a brush blind ,except the pop up is portable.My first dedicated turkey gun was a 10 ga. single shot. Then a 12 ga. 11-87,a 12 ga 870 and now I use a Nova 20 ga.

Punisher

Any legal tactic I can use, is what I use.  I first started turkey hunting, with my father, when I was around 10 and I am now 33.  I enjoy hunting turkeys but I enjoy killing turkeys even more.  If it were not for blinds or decoys there are a few birds I would have never killed because of the terrain, or circumstances for that particular hunt.  Where I hunt the birds receive quite a bit of hunting pressure and I try to utilize every trick of the trade available.  Alot of times that means the difference between packing a longbeard out over your shoulder or leaving unsuccessful.  I think whatever makes you enjoy the sport and it is perfectly legal is how a person should pursue this noble animal we all enjoy to chase.  Just my opinion.