Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Great 4 Tom Show this morning (Now Just 3!)

Started by Mike Honcho, May 15, 2013, 11:01:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Thought I'd work in a quick hunt before work this morning...got up at 4 and to field by 4:45.   Got set up where I thought I was close to a roost...no gobbles there as it got light but lots about a quarter mile behind me across a deep creek.  I hunt both pieces so worked my way across the creek, got to edge of the trees overlooking a very large cornstalk field and set up.   On top of a hill about 400 yards out I could see four strutters , several hens and a couple of jakes.  Did a little calling, got their attention and over about an hour coaxed the hens , dragging four toms with them down a long sloping hill towards me. 

They ended up hanging up at about 125 yards too involved with their own hens and finally hens headed another direction.    It was absolutely fantastic watching the show though as those four walked side by side down the slope fanned out with the morning sun shining on them...I watched thru my compact Nikon binocs.  Every one of the four a very nice long beard.  I ran out of time had to be at work at 8 so I slipped back unnoticed and will hunt here again soon.

UPDATE: Saturday morning May 25th hunted this property for third time and  harvested this double beard eastern tom...Beards 11" and 6 1/4", spurs 7/8", 3/4" weighed 20.0 lbs....probably a two year old.  Noticing this weekend that toms are responding well to a single jake decoy.... I set up in dark and placed within view of the roost trees...this one flew down (so did the other three with him)  and came straight to the decoy about 50 yards from where he landed...I didn't even have time to go for a call.  Now it's the BIG THREE! Using a Pretty Boy Jr. by Carry Lite.

DirtNap647

sounds like a good hunt good luck

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

alloutdoors

Sounds like a great way to spend a morning, good luck next time you go after them.

tomstopper

Better luck next time. Dang them work schedules.....

jblackburn

Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Mike Honcho

Updated my original post with new info and a photo this morning of one of the four toms getting ready to ride home in my truck.

Mike Honcho

DirtNap647