OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Dispersal of male birds???

Started by agross, May 13, 2013, 11:13:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

agross

I had a quick question.  I just recently shot my first turkey (a jake) on May 4, 2013 in New York on my fathers land.  Although I heard at least 4 or 5 different birds that morning 3 jakes came in to my calling and I shot one.  The one I shot had the longest beard being about 4 inches long. 

Here is my question, this past weekend I was reviewing some old trail camera pics I had over a small clover food plot in the woods, getting ready to set cam up again for deer, when I came across several pics from August into October that showed a group of 5 gobblers together.  I am no turkey expert but I would guess they may be 2 year old birds as they all had what appeared to be 7 or inch beards.  How far would  these birds travel throughout the year?  Would a group of gobblers stay together that long into the next spring (not counting the ones that may have been eaten or shot).

Just curious because if they stayed around its good to know cuz then I may have something to look forward to come this weekend when I go afer bird #2.

RutnNStrutn

At my lease in Carolina, the birds gather up into winter flocks in November - February. Then, if the weather warms up, they disperse in March. We had a group of 13 gobblers running together on our 190 acre piece. But after they split in March, the most we saw or heard together was 3.
From what I understand, they establish their pecking order, then in the spring they spread out to give each other their areas. Of course in areas with large populations of birds, with good food sources, you'll have a lot more birds hanging around.