turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

question on shotshell brand

Started by RAY, May 13, 2013, 05:47:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAY

I'm shooting Winchester Supreme High Velocity turkey loads(Black shell). I see sitting next to it Winchester Supreme Double X turkey loads (red shell). Now I'm interested in the Remington Nitro turkey loads. Would the Rem Nitro shell be comparible to the Win Supreme High velocity or Win Supreme DoubleX? Thanx in advance-Ray

WildTigerTrout

IMO the Win. Supreme HV are the best lead load on the market today. Most of the gobblers I have shot have been with this load. Win. recently changed the packaging and renamed the loads "Double X" but they are the same loads in the same black hulls. As far as I know Win. still makes the "Double X" loads with the red hull too which just adds to the confusion IMO. They should have left well enough alone! Remington turkey loads are not well liked by many turkey hunters. The patterns are not the best.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

opster246

I shoot a Rem. 870 with a Gobblin' Thunder choke tube.  I initially used the Win. Supreme XX (red) 3.5" #5.  My buddy had some of the higher velocity shells (black) and we patterned better with the high velocity shells.  I thought the higher velocity shells might "blow the pattern" as I have read in many waterfowl magazine articles, but the pattern tests showed otherwise.  I bought the Win. Supreme HV and just used up my last XX (red shell).  Either shell will consistently kill a turkey at 45 yards, but I switched because the Supreme was just a tad better out of my combo.  My dad shoots a Rem. 11-87 with a Primos Jelly Head and the 3.5" #5 Remington shells and also has a decent 40 yard pattern.  The only way to know which will be best is shoot some paper with each, but I would bet any of the above will work fine within 40 yards with a decent turkey choke (I killed my first 4 birds with a $20 Tight Wad choke and the Win. XX shells and did just fine).

redarrow

Just an honest opinion here. What your shooting is the best of the 3 you mentioned. I didn't like any of the other winchester loads and the Remingtons loads are a waste of money.

howl

As has been noted, the Double XX is supposed to be the Supreme HV in new packaging. Some are reporting lesser performance with the new shell. I'm on the lookout for the old shell, myself.