turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

first bird

Started by MEbeardlover, May 12, 2013, 07:00:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MEbeardlover

After taking up turkey hunting in the spring of 2012, I was able to take my first bird yesterday, May 11. Several birds made their way to an open field several minutes after it started to rain. As they fed along, the two toms in the group began to move away from my blind. I decided to try and gobble a few times, and sure enough, they stopped and turned. They began to slowly pick their way in my direction, and after several very agonizing minutes, I had one in range. At 35 yards, he fell immediately to a load of Remington Nitros #5 shot from my Mossberg 500.

This forum has been instrumental in my "turkey education", so thank you to all who have provided insight, advice, and help. I will pick up second tag tomorrow and start the quest for number two.

FullChoke

Congratulations and welcome to the Brotherhood of the Beard! Nice gobbler!

BTW, how did you gobble?

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

moonman

Keep your nose in the wind,your eyes on the skyline.

va wingbone

Consider yourself warned, there is no cure for the affliction you've just been stricken with! Congratulations!
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

redarrow

Don't lose your head over it. :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny: Welcome and cograts on a dandy bird. You are hooked now for sure.

MEbeardlover

Full Choke- Used a diaphragm call, learned it on YouTube. You kind of move it back as far as you can on the roof of your mouth, cup your hands over you mouth, and say "chicka-chocka-chocka-chocka". Takes a little practice, but it doesn't sound too bad. I'm convinced it turned these birds around. I have a Hale Fire call too, but not quite comfortable with it yet.

VA Wingbone- if there is a cure for this affliction, I don't want it!

trkycaller

Gold Spur

Congrats, awesome first bird! :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

tomstopper

Congrats on a nice bird. Welcome to the addiction.

DirtNap647

congrats get ready for alot less money and sleep

surehuntsalot

congrats on the "first" of many more
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

GobbleNut

Got 'em to come to a gobble!  Nice move!  You earned that bird!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

WV TURKEY THUG

Great job. How was skinning/ plucking this bad boy for u. I had a mess when I did my first one lol.

boomer

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.