OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Penn's Woods Sweet Talker

Started by Gawhitaker, May 12, 2013, 04:50:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawhitaker

Any experiance with one of these?

Gawhitaker

Have heard good things about them, may attempt making a few when time presents

Gawhitaker

Gold Spur

Ben Lee also made a call like that called a Super Hen. Let me know if you make some.
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

GobbleNut

The Sweet Talker and the Super Hen were calls made in the early 70's (or thereabouts) when turkey hunting was just really starting to take off and hunters were trying to develop turkey calls for the emerging turkey hunting market.  They were really a "second generation" pot call modeled as a variation of the Lynch Jet Slate.

They were adequate turkey calls for the time, but they are nowhere near the effective tools that todays turkey call makers are producing.  The sound chambers of these calls were just not adequate to produce the volume, tone, and resonance that is needed to realistically produce the true sounds of the wild turkey. 

Will they call turkeys?  Sure they will.  But unless someone is just looking to be nostalgic in their turkey hunting, these calls are mostly relegated to sitting on a call collectors shelf.  I have a few of them myself, but when I go turkey hunting, I prefer to use a call that sounds more closely like a real wild turkey. 

Gawhitaker

Appreciate the responses, never personally held or heard one, have a lot better idea what to expect from efforts for sure. I sorta like nostalga, but with time so limited, it hopefully would be more productive on other things. Thanks

njdevilsb

A friend of my dads handed my dad one of those calls last summer.  He found it laying around and he knew that we were big into turkey hunting.  I can't really get it to sound like a turkey yet, but it's very cool anyway.