OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

2013 ky spring season (older birds)

Started by gobblinfever, May 11, 2013, 11:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblinfever

I had a pretty good season this year here in ky. killed two nice birds. i have heard of alot of bigger older birds being killed this year. i believe ky hunters have been hunting alot of older birds this year. people have been complaining that the toms have been henned up but i believe maybe there wasnt as many 2 yr olds as usual and weve been hunting 3 yr olds and up here. i killed a 3 or 4 yr old myself ....any opinions?
Nothing better than turkey huntin

Punisher

I killed two birds in KY.  Stats for the first one was 23.40 lbs./11" beard/1.5" spurs and the second bird stats were 23.00 lbs./9.25" beard/ 1 7/16" spurs.  Definitely one of my best years for spurs.  I then went with a friend of mine a couple of times and he killed two birds with sharp 1 1/8" spurs.  Cousin killed one that weighed 25.17 lbs., had an 11" beard, and had some gigantic 1.75" spurs.  I have definitely heard less gobbling this year but have seen alot of long spurred turkeys get killed this year.

gobblinfever

awesome birds punisher! the second one i killed weighed 24.5 10.5 beard and one spur was 1.5 inches and the other was 1 3/8 inches. congrats on your birds! i believe we will hear of a lot of long spurs being killed this yr

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

Onpoint

I killed a 2 year old and a 3 year old in ky. My wife killed a 3 year old ( 1 3/16)My uncle killed two 3 year olds (1 1/4 and 1 1/8 ). My grandad got a 4 year old (1 3/8 )And my other uncle got a 4 year old 1 3/8 )So out of 7 Kentucky birds we got there was only one 2 year old. hadn't thought about it til you brought it up.

gobblinfever

congrats onpoint! i noticed it after several people at work was talking about killing long spurred big toms or know someone who did. aint heard of alot of jakes or two yr olds being killed..wonderin how good the 2011 hatch was?