OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mossberg 835 vs Remington 870

Started by EDP1, May 10, 2013, 10:12:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDP1

DirtNap647

i love my 835 patterns are great, has not failed me, and they are not a bad $ ....

SCDieselDawg

Man that's a tough one. I've shot both and they both have excellent reputations.

I like the overbored barrel on the 835 they produce some jam up patterns.

The 870 is the small block Chevrolet of pump shotguns.  Seems everybody has one and everybody makes a after market product for it.

I couldnt pick just one. Mostly because I'd be hard headed and get a 20ga 870, just so I'd have the excuse to buy a 835 later. 

In all seriousness as tough of a decision it is. I'd pick the 870. They are affordable, reliable and everybody makes aftermarket parts for them.

davisd9

As a pure turkey gun I am a firm believer in the 835 and 935.  They produce great patterns and can be easily set up.  After market items are not hard to come by or overly expensive.  I am an 835er, but the 870 is a great gun as well.  Good luck!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

vt35mag

The 835 utilizes a tang safety which works for both left or right handed shooters.  You can maintain shooting position and quietly push off the safety with just your thumb.  Easier to visually check that you are safe, since the safety on the top of the gun rather than on the side.
These are points that I gave no real thought to, until my girlfriend started to use it when I took her out hunting.

tomstopper

Both are awesome guns. I love my 11-87 so I probably would lean towards the 870 myself (just a little biased)....

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: davisd9 on May 10, 2013, 11:14:46 AM
As a pure turkey gun I am a firm believer in the 835 and 935.  They produce great patterns and can be easily set up.  After market items are not hard to come by or overly expensive.  I am an 835er, but the 870 is a great gun as well.  Good luck!

I could'nt have said it better.  I have both.  But for the best turkey blaster for overall best patterns the 870 can't beat the .775 overbored barrel on the 835.  Remington will never own up to that statement, but I can tell you without a doubt the 835 is probably without question the best shooting 12GA shotgun there is with most loads. 

captin_hook

870. I've owned both and I just like the 870 better. Just feels more solid to me. Mossbergs rattle too much for my liking.

blueridgegobbler

870 for me they are just plain and simple tough as nails a friend who hunts with me has an 835 and likes it but it wont pattern with my 870, but he has killed a pile of birds with it.I have always wondered why the 835 has the larger barrel but it seems to work.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I must say the 870 is the better made shotgun.  But the Moss 835 comes with the better 10yr warranty.  And I believe both will last a lifetime.  And I do agree the 870 forearm isn't as loose when you wiggle it vs the 835.  But it's nowhere near as bad as a lot of guys that don't like the 835's say.  Now I love my 870 and would never sell it.  But the 835 with a Star Dot choke shooting Hevi-13 3.5" #7's is one wicked pattern that would be hard to beat.  And that's not just on my 835 I am talking about.  That choke and shell combo I would bet money will work on almost every single 835 out there. 

nflorek

I have both, 835 tactical turkey and a surshot 870 super mag. My 870 hasn't been used in 3 year's since I got the 835. The 835 tactical has to be the easiest and best turkey only gun to setup, the 336 marlin mount fits the factory holes and it out patterns my 870 with hevi 13 3.5 2.25oz 7's with a sumtoy .675 choke. Last is that stupid strap on the forend I was going to take off till I had to wait almost an hour for a bird to reach me and boy it was  nice to hold rather then having ur hand turned holding the forend for that long of time. So that's my opinion not that my 870 isn't a nice gun just my 835 is my favorite for now.

RAY

For turkey hunting I would strongly go with an 835.  I like the overbored barrell, ports and overall make up of the Mossberg Turkey Models. I think they have got it right!  :you_rock:

bbcoach

You can't go wrong with either one.  I chose the 835 for the over bored barrel, great patterns, thumb safety and it fits me really well.  With the help from the guys on OG, it was very easy to optimize the pattern.  It does kill on both ends but I don't notice it with a quality recoil pad.  Both guns are GREAT guns, if your in the market for one then handle them both and get the one that fits you the best.  Good Luck with your selection. 

BuffetSlayer

Both guns are excellent and you cant go wrong with either. I do prefer the 835 for its over bored barrel and tang safety. The 835 is also a little lighter than the 870 which makes it easier to carry on long hikes. As far as rattling goes my 26 year old 500 rattles a little but my 835 does not make sound. Let us know which one you choose and why. Just curious.

grousec

If I had to have a pump and I were going to use it as a turkey gun only I would go with the 835.
I have buddies have am 870 and a 835 but I would pick the 835 because of pattern and ease of setup.