OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who is the Boss?

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 10, 2013, 09:45:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

Been a busy spring here but I have been out and had some luck in the limited time I have been able to hunt.  On the last day of both of my seasons I have been very lucky to shoot a few jakes.  We are over run with them this year.  Seeing large groups of them running together.  I have a question about them.

Last weekend I found a flock with 2 toms, 9 hens and 4 jakes.  I got within 100 yards and started calling.  I had hens talking and birds gobbling.  I could not see what ones were gobbling so I thought it was the toms.  I could also hear spitting and drumming.  After an hour, I had the 2 toms come by at 80 yards and flair from the decoys.  (1 hen 1 jake mobile with jake fan).  As they walked away, I got real aggressive and had one of them gobble but they never strutted.  As I called, I got the hens and jakes to work my way.  One of them was in full strutt and gobbling like crazy.  They saw the decoy and came right in.  I shot the strutting jake.  So my question is this, who is the boss and the one doing the breeding?  The toms standing off to the side scared of the jakes or the boss jake in the flock?  After I shot, I hammered on the call and go the 2 toms fired up and the rest of the jakes strutting and gobbling.  The hens stayed with the jakes the entire time though.