OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

5-8-13..Dad's bird.

Started by Vaturkeyhntr, May 09, 2013, 09:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaturkeyhntr

Well I was finally able to get my dad a bird this morning.  We went out to the prooperty where I had killed my third bird and where we have been hunting the past week or so trying to kill a particular "stud" of a bird.  It had just rained the night before and very foggy so as the sky started to lighten I hooted to see if the bird was roosted in his usual location,and were we surprised when he about blew us out of our shoes when he gobbled 70 yards from us.  Luckily the woods were still dark and the wet ground helped us make our way around the bird and set up in a bottom he like to walk.  after about 10-15 minutes of silence I got a little worried we were to close to the bird, but that all changed and he soon started rolling off the gobbles.  About 20 minutes went by and then I heard the sound of him fly down.  My dad told me he sees him and he is strutting right to us.  I had put out a single hen about 10 yards off our right and he was making a b-line right to it.  When he got to about 60 yards my dad told me the bird was starting to angle away from us.  I was able to see him by now and was wondering what was going on.  I gave him a few soft clucks and purrs and he still angled away.  About that time we heard clucking coming from the direction of where he flew down and a trio of jakes soon arrived.  My guess is that these jakes were planning on giving the big boy a run for his money and he didnt want any part of it.  So when the jakes got to 30 yards I knew the third one in the pack was a super jake so I told my dad go ahead and he smoked him.  Done at 6:20.  We checked on another bird after we got back to he truck that we worked the other day and he was screaming so we have some plans in the mornig for him.

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

frank1969

MAKEemQUIVER

Go Big Blue!!!!!!

tomstopper

Awesome. Congrats to both of you......

alloutdoors

DirtNap647

Jay

Congrats to your dad. One of the many regrets in life is I didn't get to take my dad Turkey hunting before he passed. He would have loved it.

trkycaller

beagler

Never Misses

Wrangler95

Very nice going,congrats!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

captin_hook

surehuntsalot

great job
good looking bird
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on getting your Dad his bird, and good luck on the big guy!! :icon_thumright: