OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

i did the most stupid thing today. im still mad

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, May 09, 2013, 05:42:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TURKEY THUG

Well this morning after I got done driving around trying to hear a turkey on the roost. I parked my truck at one of the places that I hunt . As soon as I get out of the truck I heard two turkey gobbling not Even 75 yds away I was shocked. So I put my vest on grab the gun and walk about ten yards and realized how close I was to these two turkeys . So injustice stand there trying to find them in the trees . Found them both. So I just stand there and watch them through the scope for about ten minutes then they flew down on the flat below them. I had no way to get on the same side of the hill as them so i walk another 30 yds or so and put my decoy up. Then I did a few soft yelps and hurried up an ran down a flat and on the other side and sat down against a tree. I waited about ten minutes then all of a sudden I a longbeard gobbles and made me about Zzz my pants. I already had the gun pointed in that direction. Then about two minutes later I see his head. I was about 60 yds away it was a little brushy so it was hard to get a good shot then finanly after 5 min of watching him he presents me a shot so I try squezzing the trigger and relize I didn't take the saftey off. He never did present another clear shot after that. Boy was I mad he was a nice one. So off he went back down the hill. Never saw the other one. So I get up and walked a few hundred yards and worked my way down to where I thought they was going. So I sat down did a some purrs and soft yepls every 20 min or so for about a hour. Then I decided to try some cutting and a excited hen yelp. As I soon as start cutting and I mean the same exact second I see two red heads. They must of got spooked and took off. Boy was I mad. I'm still mad.

nt a clear shot after that.

WV TURKEY THUG

Sorry for misspelled words did this from my phone.

barry

Yeah, but it's still better than taking an iffy shot and wounding a bird

guesswho

Sounds like your doing a lot right, so it's only a matter of time.  They ain't gone nowhere.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

DirtNap647

your doin good just a matter of time for ya good luck

redarrow

Don't worry bout the spelling. Get back after them boys in the morning.

KYFrid

With that much action, that would be a good day in my book. Good luck!

MouthCaller

There's way more dumber things you could've done... you'll get him

Gawhitaker

Agree with mouhcaller, sometimes its all in the timing. My " here's you sign" moments are a lot worse than that. Hope you get one tomorrow

reflexl

Stay after them. I  have got mad at me before. Fundimentals will still get it done. I agree with the others. More timing than anything. reflexl

Zachariah1548

You will get them next time. Good morning in the woods. At least you were blessed enough to see them.

WV TURKEY THUG

U guys are right I could have done something dumber Idk what but I'm sure there is something dumber I guess I could have got all excited and never thought about my truck being behind the turkey and shot my truck if the turkey walked to the left of me now that would be really stupid. But I guess if he made it through this much of the season he will have a good chance of living till next season. He will be a absolute monster. This was on my property so he should make it. If I don't get him this week lol.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: WVFrid on May 09, 2013, 08:08:00 PM
x2 :icon_thumright:
Frustrating, I know. But after the lousy season I had this spring, I'd have been happy to have had a morning with that much action.

surehuntsalot

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 10, 2013, 03:16:20 PM
Quote from: WVFrid on May 09, 2013, 08:08:00 PM
x2 :icon_thumright:
Frustrating, I know. But after the lousy season I had this spring, I'd have been happy to have had a morning with that much action.

Amen to that
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Jay

Every year I pass shots that I don't feel are a solid kill, and never question it. This year was 3 big Gobblers behind a stand of saplings 35 yards away. As far as making mistakes, we all make them, and my boneheads are epic, and some still tick me off from years ago. It's just part of hunting.