OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 870 Opinion

Started by TJK68, May 09, 2013, 02:53:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TJK68

Hey guys new to the site, and just wanted to see what you guys that own them or have shot them think of the new 870's. I wanted another turkey gun so I ordered the new Bottomland camo 870 with the 26" barrel. Give me some feed back. Glad to be a new member here.
Tom

FL-Boss

There are more 870's on the planet than any other gun... for a reason. As for pumps.. they are hard to beat. I have had them in the past, great guns. 

TJK68

Yep, thanks for the reply FL-BOSS, I have had a couple of them myself over the years, but had heard the new ones did not have the same quality as the old ones. You hear all kinds of stuff, so I just wanted a little feed back on the new ones.
Tom

Tommythreetoes

I own two.  One built in 07ish, and the other is from the late 90's.  both have been great for me.  I plan on having my shur shot 870 for a long long time.

WildSpur

I just got a supermag with the shurshot stock this year.  It is my favorite gun to date.  I compare this to a winchester 1300 and an 835 ultimag.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

CrustyRusty

Some of the express models have a finish that isnt all that durable.  Otherwise, they are the same ole tried and true 870.  If youre gonna use that gun, hunt with it and not care about its looks like a turkey gun should be used, then you will love it like no other...

I've got an 870P (police magnum) that is my favorite gun and use it for everything from plinking to trap.  Sure I have more expensive shotguns, but I bond to that old pump like no others ever have.  The new ones are fine, lets face it, when you make millions of guns, some are bound to have problems, but luckily with an 870 there are more parts, factory and aftermarket, to make it the way you want it or fix it the way you like it.

TJK68

Thanks Rusty that is the kind of replies I was looking for. It will be used, so I do not care if it is pretty. Thanks to all that replied.
Tom

FL-Boss

Crusty made a good point - you have to look at the numbers.  Rem probably makes more 870's than Win, Moss, Browning pumps combined.  I'm not sure on this, but would think defiantly more than browning and Winchester combined. 

Anyways.. with the sheer numbers.. you will likely have more complaints. This applies to any product.

TJK68

Yep, I agree with you Boss. Just wanted to make sure it was not an above average  number with the new models.
Tom

SCDieselDawg

I have 5 total. 3-12s, 2-20s

One of those 20s I've only had for a week. So far it shoots good, functions well. Only complaint I have is the fit and finish compared to the older 870s. But I didn't buy it for a show piece so I'm not gonna get too loud with my complaint.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Remington 870 is America's favorite pump shotgun.  I love mine. 

CrustyRusty

Youre very welcome.  Here is a link to a guy who makes custom 870's.  He is a very knowledgeable guy and goes into detail about the 870, including gunsmithing tips, all for free.  Browse thru his sight and see what he says about the 870's.  He rubs some people wrong, but I have dealt with him and he was very honarable in his business dealings and very helpful.  Just his youtube tutorials alone is very helpful and I believe he has his own forum on 870's now.  Hope this helps, Russ

http://www.aiptactical.com/

Quote from: TJK68 on May 09, 2013, 03:56:03 PM
Thanks Rusty that is the kind of replies I was looking for. It will be used, so I do not care if it is pretty. Thanks to all that replied.
Tom

allaboutshooting

Quote from: TJK68 on May 09, 2013, 02:53:46 PM
Hey guys new to the site, and just wanted to see what you guys that own them or have shot them think of the new 870's. I wanted another turkey gun so I ordered the new Bottomland camo 870 with the 26" barrel. Give me some feed back. Glad to be a new member here.
Tom

We're glad you're here Tom. I own several 870s in both 12 gauge and 20 gauge and have owned a few more that have gone to other homes over the years. They are good solid guns.

The 870 is truly battle proven in just about every possible way. With any reasonable care, it will give you a lifetime of reliable service.

I also think you made a wise choice with the 26" barrel.

I hope you enjoy your new gun and again, welcome to OG.

Thanks,
Clark

P.S. Just as an aside, since this is fresh on my mind from the recent press release I received from Mossberg, the Remington 870 and Mossberg 500  have both sold over 10,000,000 models each and account for millions of guns still in the hands of sportsmen, law enforcement and military. The 870, introduced in 1949 was first to meet this milestone and the 500, introduced in 1961 hit that mark this year. Who know, that information may be good at a trivia night some time.
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bushwhacker

I own four 870's. One express super mag with 28 inch barrel, a special purpose super mag with a 23" barrel, an express magnum with a 21" barrel, and a 20 gauge express magnum with a 26" barrel. They all shoot well and have never had any problems with any of them. Best shotgun made in my opinion as far as reliability. There are plenty of other fine guns made, but for the money you can't beat them. You won't be sorry if you buy one.

stilker

Clark, why do you think the 26 inch barrel is a wise choice?