OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

traveling to hunt western public land question

Started by va wingbone, May 09, 2013, 09:08:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

va wingbone

ive finally decided to go out west and hunt, im giving my self a year to plan and save. Ill be traveling from Va westward. What state would a man go to to hunt public land with good turkey numbers and generous limits?
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

VA Gobble Addict

I've read the black hills of South Dakota have good numbers. I'm from VA as well and planning to head out there next year too. What part are you from?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

va wingbone

im in Buckingham Co. right in the middle of the state
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

VA Gobble Addict

I'm not too far from you. I'm in Powhatan. Maybe we could tag team some turkeys and share expenses next season in SD?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

horsedoctor

Black Hills (South Dakota side) has good numbers but limit is 1 bird. Could hunt both SD & WY side if multiple birds are your goal.

va wingbone

Quote from: VA Gobble Addict on May 09, 2013, 09:41:17 AM
I'm not too far from you. I'm in Powhatan. Maybe we could tag team some turkeys and share expenses next season in SD?
that sounds like a plan!

Turkeyman11

I hunted the Black Hills this year. Lots of public land. We went 3 for 3.  Seems to be quite a few birds and we saw a bunch of Jakes.  I killed my bird about eight miles from the Wyoming border so next time I'll plan better and do both states in one trip.  Can't believe I didn't do it that way this year! 

Jay

Quote from: Turkeyman11 on May 09, 2013, 10:45:25 PM
I hunted the Black Hills this year. Lots of public land. We went 3 for 3.  Seems to be quite a few birds and we saw a bunch of Jakes.  I killed my bird about eight miles from the Wyoming border so next time I'll plan better and do both states in one trip.  Can't believe I didn't do it that way this year!
I'm tempted next year to make that a trip, but my legs just aren't what they use to be, and you are dealing with a lot of steeper hills, which rip me my knees up. Is that the kind of terrain that you walked?