turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

REMINGTON 870 SUPERMAG

Started by shorthair15, May 05, 2013, 09:11:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shorthair15

i shot my 870 supermag yesterday at 20 yards with a cheap tru glo choke tube with federal premuims number 6's seemed the pattern was  to spread out. this was my first experience with patterning a turkey load. i have a remington ventilator comeing this week in .655 to try. was looking at a jellyhead thinking of getting one with the .665 restriction for my 28 inch barrel. what do you remington shooters think i know this trial and error but looking for some feedback from some one with experience with this gun. thanks

Longshanks

I would start by deep cleaning the barrel and polishing the barrel could pay dividends for you. Run some winchester 3/2/6's through the ventilator .655. I have the same gun, spent $30 to have the barrel polished and then deep cleaned. Shot a cheap box of shells through the new choke and polished barrel and then started with the turkey loads.

* 150's-160's in a 10 @ 40 with win 3/2/6's.

A

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: shorthair15 on May 05, 2013, 09:11:08 PM
i shot my 870 supermag yesterday at 20 yards with a cheap tru glo choke tube with federal premuims number 6's seemed the pattern was  to spread out. this was my first experience with patterning a turkey load. i have a remington ventilator comeing this week in .655 to try. was looking at a jellyhead thinking of getting one with the .665 restriction for my 28 inch barrel. what do you remington shooters think i know this trial and error but looking for some feedback from some one with experience with this gun. thanks

That Ventilator choke will shoot with the best of them.  I know that for a fact.  Try some Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7's. or some Hevi13 3" 1.75oz #6's.  Those were awesome in the Ventilator choke I had for my 870 3". 

SCDieselDawg

Winchester Double X #6s. I think they are offered in standard and high velocity. But I'd stick with the standards. 3" or 3.5" not much difference other than recoil.

Mine likes the Hevi-13 magnum blends through the Hevi choke.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: SCDieselDawg on May 05, 2013, 10:46:50 PM
Winchester Double X #6s. I think they are offered in standard and high velocity. But I'd stick with the standards. 3" or 3.5" not much difference other than recoil.

There's another option for you. 

I just got one of the Hevi-Shot chokes for my Rem870 last week.  But it will be awhile before I get to shoot it. 

Have you tried any Hevi-13 #7's or 6's through it? 

shorthair15

cant find any around here where i live they were sold out. will have to try online.

lowoctane

My SM with 23" barrel loves the .665 Jellyhead!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Turkasaurus

I-Like-Hevi13, what is your Remington 870 #'s with Hevi 6's compared to the 7's?  Thanks...
Fueled by Nitro Ammo Co.

gophert

Normally I would say the Ventilator .655 would be a good choice, but in a 28" barrel I think it may be too tight.  The longer the barrel, the tighter that pattern will be.  Since you have it on the way, there's no way to know, but to shoot it.  My next choice would be the Primos JellyHead in .665.  I think that will probably be your best hunting pattern. 

If you can find some of the Fed Turkey Thugs #6's left a wal-mart, that is the best lead load I have seen this year. 

Good luck!

RemingtonRules

Quote from: lowoctane on May 06, 2013, 07:46:48 AM
My SM with 23" barrel loves the .665 Jellyhead!

X2, from lead to exotics it shoots them all.  I have a Rhino as well and still use the JH .665

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: gophert on May 06, 2013, 08:56:36 AM
Normally I would say the Ventilator .655 would be a good choice, but in a 28" barrel I think it may be too tight.  The longer the barrel, the tighter that pattern will be.  Since you have it on the way, there's no way to know, but to shoot it.  My next choice would be the Primos JellyHead in .665.  I think that will probably be your best hunting pattern. 

If you can find some of the Fed Turkey Thugs #6's left a wal-mart, that is the best lead load I have seen this year. 

Good luck!

Tim

The question I have is how will the 3.5" Hevi-13 2.25oz #7 loads shoot out of the Ventilator .655 choke?  I know the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads will shoot just fine out of this choke in the 3" chamber 870 28" barrel I have.  I have told you this before, but neither Jelly head .660 or .665 shot any better than the Indian Creek BDS .665 out of my 870 with the Hevi-13 3" 2oz #7 loads.  All were right around 200 to 204 in the 10".  The Ventilator will rip those chokes to pieces in my 870. 

This was the very first shot I shot out of that brand new Ventilator .655 choke that I thought would be too tight for my barrel.  It showed off right away.  And other shots have been close to this.

FL-Boss

Jelly Head .660 or .665 - doesn't matter you cant go wrong with either.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Turkasaurus on May 06, 2013, 08:29:15 AM
I-Like-Hevi13, what is your Remington 870 #'s with Hevi 6's compared to the 7's?  Thanks...

Well I haven't shot a lot of 6's, but I did shoot one that I was impressed with.  And guess what choke it was?  The Ventilator .655.  And I was shooting Hevi-13 3" 1 and 3/4oz #6.  This was pretty impressive.

I thought that pattern above was about as good as one could expect with those loads, but then I wittnessed this from my buddy, Mark, who I talked into getting a Moss 835.  I gave him my Pure Gold .670 choke and some of those same loads and watched him shoot this one on a 75 degree day.  That's why I wrote world record on it.  Simply unbelievable is what I call that pattern below.

SCDieselDawg

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on May 05, 2013, 11:04:22 PM
Quote from: SCDieselDawg on May 05, 2013, 10:46:50 PM

There's another option for you. 

I just got one of the Hevi-Shot chokes for my Rem870 last week.  But it will be awhile before I get to shoot it. 

Have you tried any Hevi-13 #7's or 6's through it?

Haven't tried any of the 6s or 7s through it yet! (I've been playing with lead)
I've got a box of 3" 6s and I think I've got a box of 3.5s if the weather stays good I'll shoot a few and post a report in the patterning section. I've gotta get my local shop to start stocking 7s.