OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old Wives Tale or no?

Started by barry, May 05, 2013, 02:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barry

Have you heard the old saying "Wind from the east, fish bite the least"?
I've heard old turkey hunters say that turkey hunting is at it's worst during an east wind.
I'm thinking it could well be true.
A lot of the East coast had sustained East winds this past week from April 30 - May 4. Nearly every hunter I spoke with said it was a strange week of hunting; very little roost gobbling, hardly any ground gobbling and birds not responsive.
I hunted twice this week, heard 6 gobblers and never got one to answer a call, and I hunted until noon each day.
For those of you in the East that hunted this week with an east wind...
How was your hunting?
Did you notice a decrease in gobbling from last week to this week?
Were birds responsive?
Anything else "different"?

howl

Not really. It's was just hard to hear them when it's blowin' a gale. They can hear you just fine, though, so it's easy to bump them. No runnin' and gunnin' in that.

redarrow

Wind from the east,fishings the least.
Wind from the west,fishings the best.

Seems to be a fact when we fished flatheads. Dont know about hunting.

AndyH

I can only hunt weekends due to my job so I can only compare weekends. There was very little gobbling this weekend compared to last weekend hunting the same areas. Friday morning was my best hunt although I only heard one bird, he gobbled great when he hit the ground, unfortunately I was unable to close the deal on him. Saturday I hunted an area where last weekend I heard no less than six different gobblers, this weekend in that same area produced only two birds gobbling a total of 3 times. This morning I hunted the same area as Friday morning and heard absolutely nothing. I am convinced the weather front had something to do with the lack of gobbling this weekend

doublebarrel

Week ago Saturday had my daughter out for youth day in nh. Gobbling was crazy. She took feathers off a Jake.

4/29 great gobbling. Busted a tom within 10 minutes of hitting the ground. Busdy dumped a Jake

4/30 5 minutes on ground another red head dumped.

5/3 great gobbling hens led Toms away.

5/4 dumoed Jake my daughter hit, birds still on fire. At check in station four more birds came in while I was checking in. all Hunters said birds on fire.

So far in mass and NH people I know have shot 2 in NH and 11 birds in mass  I may have missed one or 2 but everyone says birds twaring it up.

Thus is all in the first week.

Uncle Tom

Hunted 5/3 Friday morning at 6:40 one gobbled twice off roost and killed him. No wind early that day.