turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Son's First Turkey

Started by El Pavo Grande, May 05, 2013, 10:35:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

I am one proud dad!!!  After one uneventful out of state youth hunt and a miss on another (first turkey he has shot at), my 8 year old was still excited to go opening morning of our youth hunt.  I was optimistic after locating a few gobbling turkeys.

At daylight nothing gobbled close, but I could hear one a pretty good ways.  I knew where he was and it was a long walk.  After receiving confirmation he was up for it, we began our trek across the hollow and over a fairly steep ridge.  After nearly an hour, I decided our best chance would be to cross the creek, but I heard someone owl hooting in that general area so we backed out. 

After a 20 minute break for a snack and a wade in the creek, we heard one on the opposite side I the ridge.  Our second set up on this gobbler had us close...within 75 yards.  Cluck, purr, scratch in the leaves and gobbler quit gobbling, but is hung up on a pine bench spitting and drumming.  After no sound from him for over an hour, I decided it was lunch time.  The sun was warm and he was asleep.  I woke him and we began our trip out.  I looked at my watch and it was 12:30.

Just before breaking over the hill to cross a small hollow, my call was cut off by a gobble from about 100 yards.  It was very open, but a short pine thicket between gave us the chance to ease forward and set up within range of the break of the hill.  As soon as I settled him between my legs at the base of the oak tree, I heard them in the leaves.  With his gun shouldered and resting on his knees, a hen popped over the hill at a trot coming to us, but at 20 steps she spun and clucked nervously as she walked back over the break of the hill from where she came.  I clucked and yelped as soft as I could.  I saw a red head appear as he crested the hill.  It was a jake.  He was struggling to find him in the red dot scope, when I heard "pffftdoooooom"!!!  Out steps the big gobbler to the right.  He immediately breaks strut and clicks nervously.  Just at that time, my son whispered that be could see the jake.  BOOM!!  Down he goes and we were beyond elated!!! 

After admiring the turkey and reliving the hunt, we said a prayer thanking God for the freedoms we enjoy in this country and the beauty he provides with nature and the outdoors.  It was a good lesson.  It was 12:45 and we had been in the woods all morning.  I told him that's the reward for hunting had sand sticking with it.  We were blessed.

Sorry so long.
[/URL]

[/URL]

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you on a great hunt. The big smile on your sons face says it all... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

alloutdoors

hobbes

trkycaller

slamman

congrats to the young man for his 1st and proud dad.   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

WV TURKEY THUG

Congrats now take him out and let him bag that other guy. I'm sure hes begging to go now lol.  :theman:

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: WV TURKEY THUG on May 05, 2013, 12:51:42 PM
Congrats now take him out and let him bag that other guy. I'm sure hes begging to go now lol.  :theman:

We tried.  Our gobbling was so hit and miss during the regular season, the days we went I just couldn't get him on anything else.  The spot he killed that turkey in has been covered up with folks.

I'm proud of him because as long as I'll go at his pace, he is not afraid to do some walking if need be.

WV TURKEY THUG

He is hooked for life haha.

DirtNap647

Ruger M77

congrats! love seeing a young hunter be successful
I eat therefore I hunt

doublebarrel

Great job!!!!! Congrats!!!!

beagler

Never Misses

gophert

Patience and endurance win every time..congrats to you both!

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo

ElkTurkMan

That's waht it's alla bout right there.  Congrats to you and your son on aawesome hunt.  I gurantee y'all will talk about this for years and years to come.