OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Need opinions please

Started by stilker, May 05, 2013, 12:22:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stilker

Thinking of buying one of the Remington 870 Super Mags in Bottomland. Those of you that have this gun do you like it? I have always shot a 3 inch 870. How many guys on here swear by there super mag?

thanks

SCDieselDawg

I have both the super and the standard magnum.  Those 3.5" shells offer up a larger payload but the increase in recoil is often a turn off. I shot two turkeys this year one with a 3.5" Hevi #6 the other with 3" magnum blend. Both nearly at the same distance, one was just as dead as the other. So to me there really isn't much need in the 3.5". With that said I will also say that I have no plans to part ways with the Super Magnum, it'll end up being my secondary gun.

lowoctane

Have a 870 SM with the 23" barrel. Mine shoots 3" better than 3.5" AND with less recoil... :camohat:
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

nyhunter

I have 2 870 SM's and both will out shoot my expensive Benelli SBEII. I would never part with either of them.

R AJ

I bought the SM years ago but did not care for the extra recoil for no added results over the 3".
For my kind of hunting it also has no advantages over my 3" 20 with Fed HW #7 shot.
It was sold two years ago and a fine gun I might add. If you need one I suggest that you get it.

stilker

Ya I hear ya on the recoil if I shoot a 3.5 shell. What I was really asking about is the quality of the gun. I know my 1990's old school 870 is a mule but I read online somewhere bout the new super mags getting bad reviews like fail to fire or fail to eject. Then I hear that's all crap and a Remington is still a well built gun. Figured this is the best place to get the truth. 

gophert

I'm a wimp and hated the headaches and busted lips.

sent from Tim's Tweaked Out Evo

WildTigerTrout

My Rem 870 SM 26" is about ten years old and works great. I can't comment on the new production runs. I won't part with mine I can tell you that much. I shoot 3.5's too. It's a cannon! I love it! :OGturkeyhead:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

surehuntsalot

the way I look at it with the 3.5" shells,
I say get it,you can shoot 3" all you want,but if you ever decide to use 3.5" shells the option is there,it isn't with just a 3" gun.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Skeeterbait

If you do the homework and pattern testing and get the guns set up with the right shell/choke combination they perform best with... well then the 3.5" gun will give you 10-15 yards more range due to the larger pellet count.  It is not "more powerful" downrange but it will recoil worse due to the inertia of having to move the heaver payload.  Now if you don't get it set up right, it is quite possible that the 3" gun will out shoot it.  Don't assume that the same choke/shell brand is going to shoot best in both guns.  Up to you if it is worth it.

allaboutshooting

Quote from: stilker on May 05, 2013, 12:22:52 AM
Thinking of buying one of the Remington 870 Super Mags in Bottomland. Those of you that have this gun do you like it? I have always shot a 3 inch 870. How many guys on here swear by there super mag?

thanks

You are really addressing the quality issue of the 3.5" gun vs the 3" gun. At one time there were some issues with the 3.5" guns and many made their way back to Remington Repair Stations for fixes. I can't recall the exact issue but after a period of time, it was cured on current production guns. There were however still some guns out there with the problem and I'm sure not all of them made their way to the proper place to be repaired. There could still be some floating around.

Since several guns were involved and there are a variety of forums where these kinds of problems are discussed, the "quality issue" with 3.5" guns still pops up from time to time. From what I've been told, current production guns are just fine and as reliable as the 3" models.

I hope that helps some.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

stilker

10/4 thanks for the feedback

mudhen

Killed 10+ toms with SM MOBL in 2011.

No problems for me.

Sold it to a buddy, gun broke within a few weeks of duck hunting.  Ejector issues, stuck shells, no word on if the buddy has sent it back for repair yet...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

AndyH

Quote from: stilker on May 05, 2013, 12:22:52 AM

thanks
I have one and it is a killing machine. I'm shooting 3" Hevi 7's paired with a Jellyhead .665. I also have a Burris FF2 on it. The first year I bought it I took it to Mississippi duck hunting and it was having trouble ejecting Federal Black Cloud empties. Changed shells and no problems after that. I'm not quite sure what the deal was but that is the only issues I've had with it.

mudhen

Quote from: mudhen on May 12, 2013, 08:43:59 AM
Killed 10+ toms with SM MOBL in 2011.

No problems for me.

Sold it to a buddy, gun broke within a few weeks of duck hunting.  Ejector issues, stuck shells, no word on if the buddy has sent it back for repair yet...

mudhen

Sorry, I should have been more clear, by issues I meant broken metal parts flying off the gun!!

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka