OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Another close call, OH man, so close!

Started by kevin2, May 04, 2013, 11:27:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I wasn't having anything happen, and then I finally had a hen come into my 1 decoy set up. 15 yards for about 10 minutes, lightly clucking & purring, very cool. She was bringing a gobbler just behind her & then with 75 yards to go, he went off to the field in a slightly different direction. I thought he was going to come, but he slowly made his way to the other side of the corn field, about killed me! It was hard for me to believe that he wouldn't follow her in, she was a perfect decoy.

The good thing was, I finally had a turkey come into my decoys. I was beginning to think that the decoys were scaring everything off. Well, that may have been what happened with the Gobbler, but he never gobbled once at my calls. I think he may have just been having his way with this loan hen, as they were the only 2 I saw.

One bad thing that developed, my spot no longer holds a gobbler. There was only 1 OF the 4-5 gobblers I heard on my last hunt gobbling today. He returned to the far side of the field this evening, so I'm assuming that he's the fella I've been hearing on the other mornings.

I've got one day left. It is a long drive, 100 miles in the morning. Just got home! Not sure I've got the spirit left in me to gut out another 2:30am wake up with only 2-3 hours sleep!

Well, I've got my son's season starting on Monday, so I've got that to look forward to. I've learned plenty in my 2 weeks of hunting. Hopefully that will help us land him a turkey.

Thanks to everyone that has helped me & chimed in when I've had questions.

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!