turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I have created a monster

Started by HogBiologist, March 08, 2011, 06:33:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HogBiologist

I got the wife a bow 2 weeks ago.  She has her hunting license for turkey season. We got her some low brass #6 game loads for anything under 30 yards.  I'll let her carry my gun and I'll carry the spare.  We were looking at rifles today.  Today we are looking at .243 youth rifles.  She liked the Marlin youth 243 but was not fond of the accu trigger.  We are trying to find her a good deer and hog rifle.  A guy I know, also suggested the .308.  My friend is gonna let her shoot a 243.  She shot the 20 gauge with a 2.75" High Brass game load and was suprised, but it didnt hurt (first kicking gun).  She probably was not holding tight and it kicked rather than pushed. Any suggestions on a good youth model 243 or 308 that is not real expensive ($200 - $400)?  She is ready for bow season to get here.  We may try to get here a hog for our anniversary.  Funny most women want jewlery or flowers for the wedding anniversary, mine wants a gun.  I love my Wife.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

VAHUNTER

what more could you ask for!!! sounds like a great marriage  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
you might look at a 7mm08 or a 6mm both great shooters . good luck
Good things come to those who wait

mossy835

Lucky dog!!
You could look for a good used 25--06 flat shooting and not too heavy on recoil but whatever you decide put a good Limbsaver or equivalent on so she continues to enjoy shooting for a long time.
:z-winnersmiley:

turkey slayer

My wife shoots a savage 243. she loves it and has killed 13 deer with it. Its a very sweet shooting little gun!

Basser69

I have a 7-08 that the kids shoot and love it

Skeeterbait

7mm-08 is an amazing round.  Some rounds just seem to have the right combination of bullet weight, sectional density and proper velocity for good expansion.  The 7mm-08 is one of those.  It is highly effective at dropping deer size game right there.  Firearms manufacturers are recognizing this combination of effectiveness and low recoil and making some nice short mountain rifles chambered for this round now.

TauntoHawk

I got my wife a 7mm -08 and it is a sweet shooting gun. Low recoil and accurate

every year it puts 3 shots touching at 100yd and drops deer in their tracks
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

jshively

I think the 7mm-08 is about as perfect a cartridge for deer as you can get.  I have shot deer from 20 yards to out past 300, and they all drop dead.  Easy to shot and you will not develop a flinch from shooting it either.

My daughter (who is 66 pounds) uses a 243 for deer and has no problem with the recoil.  Just make certain that the stock is a right fit for her.

Cool deal that the wife enjoys hunting.  Can not get the wife out to save my life.

Crutch

Got my wife a Savage 243, synthetic stock, accu trigger and we both love it. Of course if your wife doesn't like the accu trigger thats an obsticle.
Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord
:gobble: :gobble:

knightrider

with out a doubt get you a used model 7 7mm-o8 the best youth and kids friendly gun out their with little recoil and PLENTY of nock down you will NOT be sorry :z-guntootsmiley:

shootumindaface

243 with Barnes 85 Grain Tipped Triple Shock X Bullets is wicked

Arlo

Sounds like you need to buy yourself an apron.  LOL!!!!!
"I'd rather Turkey Hunt than breathe, I just can't figure out how to get away with it!"

bowhunter84

a youth 243 would be hard to beat. thats what my wife shoots