turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Mass Gobbler down

Started by Sampsta, May 04, 2013, 08:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sampsta

Setup down at a cousins property this am. We heard the birds about 100 -150 yards away in some timber. We made or way over and saw 3 birds fly down shortly after 5:30 I still didn't see the gobbler. Just at the moment I move to get better view the tom walks by about 60 yards and spotted movement. He clucked a few times but didn't run off in a panic. Fortunately he just followed the hens.

My cousin was watering his bogs so between the sprinkler noise and the fog that was present we could safely make our way around them and setup where I knew they were going to go.

About a half hour later My son called a bit....then we saw the first hen..then the 2nd..then the 3rd bird then the 4th. 2 hens and two jakes but where was the tom. It was still kinda dark and I wasn't spotting the big boy...I couldn't see the beard and I kept asking my son  do you see a beard on 1-4 and he said 5...I'm like 5 I don't see him...finally I saw his movement up on a little knoll. The hens were just doing their AM stuff ..one jake actually started towards us and I was worried he was going to spot us...but he turned away and headed back...finally the tom came down and I had to wait for the last hen to clear.

So I took the shot he dropped in his tracks..flopped a bit and then he passed. He is about 21 lbs 1" spurs and a 9.5" beard

Great AM hunt with my son I'm very thankful...Were gonna have some turkey this evening.

Fatbeard

East TN Beard Buster

beagler

Never Misses

Gold Spur

Congrats on a nice bird!!! :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

LONGBEARD22

alloutdoors

tomstopper

boomer

troutfisher13111

captin_hook

ceejay

Congrats on a great hunt with your son  :icon_thumright:

Sampsta

Thank you ! we had some of him last night...was very good!!!

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Very nice gobbler,congrats!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

DirtNap647

trkycaller