OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Custom calls, customer service

Started by packmule, May 04, 2013, 03:19:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

packmule

Just a thought. . .

If you're buying a custom call and haven't before, I'd highly recommend it.  I now have several and they're excellent calls, it's been a pleasure to interact with these callmakers who are making such fine turkey hunting tools. . . but also give some thought to customer service.

In the past couple of years I've purchased or received calls from Houndstooth, Hooks, Rush Mouth Calls, and LightsOut.  I am also currently working on making a purchase from Mother Lode turkey calls.  I can HIGHLY recommend all of these guys, they make GREAT calls and are excellent to work with.

On the other hand I also purchased a custom pot call from one of the better known callmakers, whom I won't name by name.  I'm not at all happy with the customer service.  When I ordered the call a couple of years back I had to contact the guy twice just to get info on the calls.  Then this past March I accidentally dropped the call and cracked the surface.  I tried contacting him to see if it was fixable.  Again, it took a couple contacts to get the following e-mail "Send it back I'll see what I can do for you".
It's been several weeks and I haven't heard anything.  I've made several contacts and received one more e-mail, "I received the call, I'll see what I can do for you".  That's it, still no resolution on this issue.  Now I understand that I dropped the call, it's a busy time of the year, etc.  I'm not looking for freebies or a discount. . .but I feel that I do deserve at least a callback, an assessment as to whether the call is repairable, would it be cheaper to just buy a new call.....

Unfortunately, me not buying another $50-$60 call from the guy isn't going to change his customer service plan.  But hopefully it's a lesson to everyone else. . . at least give customer service a thought before you spend your hard earned dollars.  There are plenty of great callmakers on OldGobbler who deserve your business.

pappy

I believe the key to a great custom call maker is great customer service, before, during and after the sale has been made.  ABSOLUTELY DO NOT buy from someone who is not available for discussing any issues with any call, or someone who has a "if I get time" attitude. This is why it is so important to keep an open line of communication  between buyer and call maker, I always tell my clients, call me, or pm me, or email me or drop by, no problem what so ever, because I know that the one thing that  is required to keep them "Happy Campers" is communications. I got calls all over the US and Canada, and I am willing to stand behind my calls, decorative or hunting it doesn't matter, and this is how many call makers on OG are, that is why this is one of the best sites to find and work with custom call makers, 99% really do care about the person who buys from them, enough so to keep in contact for years.
What I would recommend to you, since your call maker seems to be out of touch, is to try once more just to insure nothing is wrong or he is not out of state hunting or something that would dictate his prior action, if no answer then find your self a competent call maker who would be willing to look at and try to fix your pot call. pappy
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

packmule

Thanks for the thoughts Pappy, you're next on my list after I get the call from Joe Slaton!!

Turkey Trot

It would work better in this situation if the callmaker stated directly that he does not have a repair program or personnel and could not get around to looking at it until after June 1 or whenever.  That would eliminate any false expectations and unhappiness.

What could a guy that broke his call say bad about a custom maker in response to that? 
Until The Turkeys Have Their Historians, Tales Of The Hunt Shall Always Glorify The Hunter

strutnrut

Do you have the callmakers phone number if so talk directly with them. If a callmaker doesn't or won't give you his phone number I personnally would steer clear of them. mosty calls are fixable or at the least replaceable. It's not that hard to replace the calling surface of a pot call. I have even heated surface of a call that didn't come out right to see what was wrong with it. It's not rocket science. Not calling out the callmaker is setting up someone esle for the same problem there comes a point where you have no choice, either write it off or call them out. If making a post on open forum doesn't get a response then the callmaker doesn't care. 

M Sharpe

Quote from: strutnrut on May 08, 2013, 06:47:58 AM
Not calling out the callmaker is setting up someone else for the same problem. There comes a point where you have no choice, either write it off or call them out. If making a post on open forum doesn't get a response then the callmaker doesn't care.

I agree.

I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

savduck

I not saying anyone is right or wrong here. Im saying people need to remember many call makers do it as a hobby, they do it as something that comes second in their lives. I can't tell you how many call makers I've spoken to have told me how busy they now are that they can't get any of their own hunting in and that people wait until the last minute to order and then expect something the next day. Work, families, health issues, hunting season come first sometimes.

Hey maybe the guy should update you a little more, but maybe you ought to have some more patience...you did send him the call back in the heart of the busy season and he has told you he is working on it.

Georgia Boy

C_W

Quote from: savduck on May 09, 2013, 08:14:46 AM
I not saying anyone is right or wrong here. Im saying people need to remember many call makers do it as a hobby, they do it as something that comes second in their lives. I can't tell you how many call makers I've spoken to have told me how busy they now are that they can't get any of their own hunting in and that people wait until the last minute to order and then expect something the next day. Work, families, health issues, hunting season come first sometimes.

Hey maybe the guy should update you a little more, but maybe you ought to have some more patience...you did send him the call back in the heart of the busy season and he has told you he is working on it.

This is the first post on this tread that makes any sense.

CW

Gobblerstopper

Thank you for your post savduck.

The callmaking hobby is comprised of people from many stages of life in many different situations. Giving the callmaker the benifit of the doubt is never a bad idea before "calling him out".

Not saying either the customer or callmaker is in the wrong either. It is a frustrating situation.

ccleroy

Quote from: savduck on May 09, 2013, 08:14:46 AM

Exactly, not taking sides but that's spot on. When buying custom calls you have to understand if you buy in the heat of the spring or expect a repair it could be lengthy. Custom call makers for the most part are turkey killers and it is the reason they started making calls. Great post Del.

pappy

" What I would recommend to you, since your call maker seems to be out of touch, is to try once more just to insure nothing is wrong or he is not out of state hunting or something that would dictate his prior action, if no answer then find your self a competent call maker who would be willing to look at and try to fix your pot call....."
I have been in this Hobby/Business for many years, and I do so with the intent of making great calls and servicing my clients to insure their satisfaction. And believe me when I say that there have been times when I have thrown my hands up in the air and wonder why God only put 24 hours in a day....everyone has their life to live, filled with what ever it takes to fulfill it...but I also know that as Call Makers we are responsible for making certain that the heritage of the sport is continued, and to do so in a manner that would attract more people into the world of Custom Calls, and that takes a tremendous effort on our behalf, a weight that sometimes may feel like the world on our shoulders. Everyone is a candidate for second chances, remember Jonah in the bible? What we do with those second chances defines our self being, and in the Call making world, the definition is written on a very thin line....again I say try to continue to make contact with the maker, then go from there. 
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

M Sharpe

I've read and re-read the OP. From what I gather packmule is just wanting to know IF the call can be repaired. And NO, the guy did not say he was working on the call. He said he'd take a look and see what could be done. I don't think packmule was expecting him to drop what he was doing to repair the call. He just wanted contact with him. Packmule indicated he may even have to buy a new call. If this guy had responded back promptly, more that likely he would have gotten the sale; but, I doubt that's the case now.
I for one do not think that a phone call is too much to ask for. I have people send me pm's, e-mails, and texts all the time about calls. I always send them my phone number and suggest they call me so we can see how to best handle this person's needs. I had rather talk to someone that try to convey my message to them through a computer. Probably not 20% of those people call, they continue to send pm's. I'm forever wondering about that. Is it people don't like to talk to call makers or what? Are they afraid what the person on the other end of that phone is going to be like?
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

ccleroy

I agree Mark, it's not to much to ask.

Outdoormarsh

From the perspective of a custom call maker, that's just pure ignorance on his part. With today's technology, communication, although the biggest aspect of any call makers business, should be the easiest. How hard is it to make a 5 minute phone call explaining what's wrong and whether or not he's too biusy ATM? Maybe It's just me... But the small amount of effort it takes to cater the needs of a customer to make sure they're happy and giving GOOD FEEDBACK is top priority. The best thing for anybody selling calls is a happy customer with a big mouth. Period.

packmule

Hi all,
Thanks for the various opinions and perspectives.  Hopefully everyone understands where I'm at with the original post.  I'm not trying to get anything out of the situation. . . . there are a lot of great callmakers out there who care about their customers and the reputation of their business, as potential buyers we should reward those callmakers with our business.  I'm obviously done making future purchases with the callmaker in question, there are always 2 sides to every story, so I've also chosen not to call that person out by name. 

In short I guess what I was trying to say is this, if you are considering buying a custom call, give the callmaker a call and visit with him for a few minutes about his products.  It doesn't take too long to get a good feel for what type of person you're dealing with.  In my experience most of the callmakers I'm familiar with are great people, make great calls, and are great to deal with.  If you run across someone who's too busy to respond to inquires about their calls, or seems dis-interested in working with you on what call you'd like to have built, maybe consider talking with someone else and see if they are a better fit for you.