turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Strut Stopper Xtreme

Started by shootumindaface, March 08, 2011, 06:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shootumindaface

I am beginning to think that both Sals short barreled 20 and my long barreled 20 are going to be sporting SSXs after today.. My best Federal patterns have come through the SSX but they were not as good as my H 13 patterns last year with the SSX..

So today I took Sals lil gun out and shot some H 13 through a Tempest 570, PG 555 and SSX just to see if the Federals fail if I have something to lean back on.. The SSX out performed the other 2 chokes in both counts and evenness.. I truly wasnt concerned about #s as it was only36F with a 10mph wind in my face.. So anything over 120 I was happy..

So after shooting I decided to rip one Federal through the SSX 550... The results were great for the weather 140 in a ten inch circle.. I quit shooting as I want to compare this head to head with the 555 Tempest I received after shooting.. I really need to put 3-4 in a row through it and test for consistency.. If I can get 140s consistently through that gun at 36 degrees I will be tickled..

For some reason my guns like that choke..  ???

gophert

I have one on the way for the 870.  I hope it likes my gun. 

300Mag

My SSX does not shoot good in my 870 youth with the hw7's. The hastings 562 does not either. The SSX did do well with hevi13 7's though. 

shootumindaface

Quote from: 300Mag on March 08, 2011, 07:52:54 PM
My SSX does not shoot good in my 870 youth with the hw7's. The hastings 562 does not either. The SSX did do well with hevi13 7's though. 
I personally think if one is looking for a choke to shoot H 13 7s, HW 7s and Nitro 7s this choke will accommodate one of the above mentioned loads..

TrkyHntr

I think you might have found your Fed HW combo. I've heard that choke gets better the more it's shot.

Shane
He's big enough to ride in my truck!

njdevilsb

I'm going to have to give my SSX another try.  Last year, I was barely breaking 100 hits with it, but the RSF choke was putting up 130's so I went with that for hunting.  This was using Hevi #7's out of an 870 with a 28" barrel.