turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

2nd season Iowa birds

Started by grimreaper, May 03, 2013, 02:03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grimreaper

We are into 4th season already here in Iowa.  Went out this morning and hunted birds with 10 inches of snow on the ground, but here is our story from 2nd season this year.

My dad and I set out with high hopes this year of doubling on birds as we have for the past 3 years, but we didn't have that kind of luck 2nd season this year.  Maybe we will 4th season but it doesn't start till Thursday.  We did however each get one but a day apart.  We almost had a chance to double up when he shot his on Saturday but they stopped to far out and behind a tree for me so I had him shoot the close one and the other 3 toms ran off.  I however Sunday morning went back out with my brother in law in hopes to double up with him.  It was raining, low 40's and a stiff south wind.  We set up on the edge of the timber by the river.  We were in some real thick thickets with the decoy on the road coming into the timber.  I called four toms in.  We got lined up and counted to three and shot at the same time.  Mine dropped and he cleanly missed.  He did however blow a heck of a hole in the thickets. 

Dad's bird was 20.7lbs , 9 1/2 inch beard and 3/4 hooks.

Mine was only 17.3lbs 6" beard and 3/8 spurs.

tomstopper

Nice birds. Congrats to you both....

DirtNap647

stinkpickle

CONGRATS!!!  BTW, the 4th season weather is great, ain't it?   ;D

boomer

alloutdoors

DaveFroggin

Congrats to you and your father. Im hoping to get out for the 4th season tag next weekend.

Gold Spur

Woo Pig Sooie!!!

MAKEemQUIVER

Congrats to you fellas, sure am glad Im not dealing with that snow
Go Big Blue!!!!!!

beagler

Never Misses

grimreaper

Quote from: stinkpickle on May 03, 2013, 05:58:27 PM
CONGRATS!!!  BTW, the 4th season weather is great, ain't it?   ;D

Oh just a blast.  Was out in it this morning and tonight.  We roosted 4 toms and 3 jakes tonight so hopefully we can fill at least one tag in the morning.

bubbaboy

this weather is such a blast to hunt in,i think i was wearing more clothes first season than i did during bow season last fall.congrats on the birds ill be out in the morning

trkycaller

ElkTurkMan

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase