turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NY Opener - Bird Down

Started by njdevilsb, May 03, 2013, 10:03:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njdevilsb

My dad had roosted 3 toms and a couple hens the night before.  We got setup at about 5:00 and the birds started gobbling within 5 or 10 minutes.  We gave them some soft stuff to let them know we were there and mostly just listened.  The bearded hen we have been seeing on our trail cams came from our left very early.  It was still dim enough where I wasn't even sure if it was a turkey or not at 40 yards until she started walking.  She came in to our decoys, fluffed up a little bit and pushed and pecked on one of them.  Eventually she had enough and walked off towards where the toms were gobbling.  A little while later, we heard a hen right behind us, and she kind of walked back and forth on a logging road for a couple of minutes before heading back into the woods.  The toms have been gobbling on and off this whole time, sounding like they are getting farther away.  About 6:10, 2 hens came in from our left to investigate the decoys once again.  I catch movement to the right and see 3 more hens.  Through the leaves I could see a big round ball coming behind them.  Game on.  It took him a couple minutes to get to where I had a clear shot.  He had just gotten clear when he realized something wasn't right.  He dropped strut, perked his head and and turned to leave.  I was already on him and pulled the trigger and down he went.  The hens stuck around for probably 5 more minutes, all while the other toms were still in the woods gobbling.  We never did bring in another one for my dad, but we got pictures of them on the trail cams yesterday afternoon.  Another night of roosting tonight and hopefully another bird or 2 flopping in the morning.

19.4lbs, 8 7/8" beard, 3/4" and 7/8" spurs.

DirtNap647

boomer

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

RutnNStrutn

Gotta love a cooperative 2 year old!! Congrats on your bird man!! :icon_thumright:

trkycaller

tomstopper

Nice bird. Congrats.... Still waiting for mine in NY. Will give it a try this Sunday....

alloutdoors

Gold Spur

Congrats on a beautiful bird...   :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

beagler

Never Misses

troutfisher13111