turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Safe to eat?

Started by sself, May 03, 2013, 12:04:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sself

As some of you may have seen, I already posted a picture of the turkey's beard that I shot this week... In the post, I mentioned that while cleaning the bird, I noticed quite a bit of shot in the birds breast, at least twenty pellets or more. I know they were not mine because they were copper plated, and right in the broad side. I shot this turkey head-on at about ten steps, and my shot was not copper plated. I cut a lot of gooey, dark-bloody sections out of the breast where the turkey had suffered wounds from the shot. I hadn't really thought much about it, until some guys told me it might not be safe to eat because the birds wounds were probably infected, plus the lead had been sitting in the meat for who knows how long. Thoughts?

catman529

I'd say it's iffy, I hate getting shot in the breast anyway because it clots up the meat with blood and you have to trim a lot. Sounds like he had been shot recently if it was still dark bloody... a later infection I think would be more green or pus-filled... that's just my 2 cents though. I'd for sure save the legs and thighs

DirtNap647

i hate to waste a turkey but i honestly probably wouldnt eat it not worth getting sick over it

stone road turkey calls

trash it, go get a butterball
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

VAHUNTER

when in doubt throw it out!!
not worth the chance of making you or your family sick.
Good things come to those who wait

tomstopper

Quote from: VAHUNTER on May 03, 2013, 08:13:42 AM
when in doubt throw it out!!
not worth the chance of making you or your family sick.
:agreed: 100%

gobblerhunter

When in doubt, throw it out.  Several years ago, I killed a turkey in south Texas that had been shot before.  The breast meat was discolored and actually had a slight smell.  I did not hesitate but gave it to the coyotes.

remmy1187

I just shot one on Monday that had also been shot and the breast meat had a yellow/greenish color to most of it.  Unfortunate but I did throw it out.

Uncle Tom

Would not eat...many years ago I contacted hepatitis from eating deer that had been shot several hours prior to me finally killing him (shotgun wound) and he was probably in a fever. I was only one that ate this meat and doctor said that is how I contacted hepatitis. Better to be safe than sorry. please take this advice.

barry

Toss it!
If you're worried about wasting a tag, save the breast, call the game dept. and tell them what happened.

B-Rad1

I'd hate to waste a bird too, better be safe and chunk it. My second bird of the year had a mess of shot in the right breast, it smelled fine but I wasn't willing to chance it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sself

Is it safe to just eat the breast without the shot in it?

stinkpickle

I'd guess the other side might be OK.  Just talk a buddy into tasting it first.  ;)