turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Remington 11-87 Problems

Started by campcreekfarm, May 02, 2013, 06:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

campcreekfarm

Well before turkey season this year I bought my wife a Remington 11-87 turkey gun with the shur shot stock and 23" barrell.  I bought it used from a store but I could tell the gun had hardly ever been shot and was in excellent condition.  I must say I knew better to buy a newer Remington but I knew the gun would "fit" her so much better than the old Beretta she had been toting for 12 years so I went ahead and purchased it.  To  say the gun is a JAMMAMATIC would be an understatement  but she absolutely loves the feel of the gun(so do I) and wants to keep it.

I have taken the gun totally apart, cleaned everything and it appears to be ok as far as I can tell.  Not sure if it could be the spring strength being that the gun is almost new practically.  It wil shoot the first shell fine and eject it without problems and the other one feeds into the chamber of the magazine with no problem but the bolt only closes about halfway (with the new shell exposed).  Also the brass on whatever shells that are run through the gun look like you have taken a hammer and nocked dents all in them.  I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on.  Help please.  Thanks.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I would take it to a good gunsmith and have hm look at it.  If he thinks he can fix it, he will tell you right away more than likely.  But if not, you might be better off sending it in to Remington.  They probably won't even charge you labor and maybe just the part.  Heck and they may not charge you anything.  You will of course have to pay to ship it to them. 

It sounds like you got a loading lifter problem. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: campcreekfarm on May 02, 2013, 06:07:53 PM
Well before turkey season this year I bought my wife a Remington 11-87 turkey gun with the shur shot stock and 23" barrell.  I bought it used from a store but I could tell the gun had hardly ever been shot and was in excellent condition.  I must say I knew better to buy a newer Remington but I knew the gun would "fit" her so much better than the old Beretta she had been toting for 12 years so I went ahead and purchased it.  To  say the gun is a JAMMAMATIC would be an understatement  but she absolutely loves the feel of the gun(so do I) and wants to keep it.

I have taken the gun totally apart, cleaned everything and it appears to be ok as far as I can tell.  Not sure if it could be the spring strength being that the gun is almost new practically.  It wil shoot the first shell fine and eject it without problems and the other one feeds into the chamber of the magazine with no problem but the bolt only closes about halfway (with the new shell exposed).  Also the brass on whatever shells that are run through the gun look like you have taken a hammer and nocked dents all in them.  I can not for the life of me figure out what is going on.  Help please.  Thanks.

John Mann is the owner of Mann & Son Sporting Goods (Since 1946) and is a licensed Remington Repair Station. You can reach him at 618.357.2911. He knows more about those guns than anyone I know and is also a fine man willing to help anyone. His place is very busy and it may take a while to get through but the time spent is well worth it.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Creekgeek

I'm not going to say that this is the answer but mine was doing the same thing. I took mine completely apart and when I looked down the tube where the action spring was housed I found mt problem. Even though I had only shot my gun 6 times the sprung and tube were FILLED with gunk. I scrubbed the tube with a brass brush then put her back together. She has worked lie a charm since.

Although my extractor still bangs up the brass  pretty good.

campcreekfarm

Quote from: Creekgeek on May 02, 2013, 09:26:42 PM
I'm not going to say that this is the answer but mine was doing the same thing. I took mine completely apart and when I looked down the tube where the action spring was housed I found mt problem. Even though I had only shot my gun 6 times the sprung and tube were FILLED with gunk. I scrubbed the tube with a brass brush then put her back together. She has worked lie a charm since.

Although my extractor still bangs up the brass  pretty good.

Thanks .  I took it down as far as an 11-87 could be taken down and cleaned and scrubbed all that out.  I really dont think it is my extractor that is tearing up the brass being that my "indentations" are all on the side pretty far down near the plastic hull.  I am going to pull a trigger mechanism out of an old 11-87 that I have and see what happens with it, I think

Flyrodder

Quote from: allaboutshooting on May 02, 2013, 06:44:55 PM
Quote from: campcreekfarm on May 02, 2013, 06:07:53 PM

John Mann is the owner of Mann & Son Sporting Goods (Since 1946) and is a licensed Remington Repair Station. You can reach him at 618.357.2911. He knows more about those guns than anyone I know and is also a fine man willing to help anyone. His place is very busy and it may take a while to get through but the time spent is well worth it.

Thanks,
Clark

You are correct. John Mann is the real deal.
Flyrodder

lowoctane

You may also want to make sure you have all the pieces for the cycling piston and that they're installed correctly. Sometimes the gas ports in the barrel clog and will cause that problem as well...
:( at home sick
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

R AJ

A friend of mine had a brand new 11-87 giving him fits and it was the metal piece near the piston that was broken. I think that this problem causes an improper amount of gases to assist in loading the next shell and kicking out a spent shell.The carrier on the trigger group may have the guide arm  bent inward slightly causing the marks on the shell as well.
Please do a follow up when you get it all worked out and let us know.
As Clark mentioned before, a good gunsmith can look for other problems that can cause these things to happen. Hopefully this is a once in a lifetime occurrence and that is often enough.

surehuntsalot

if it is a "newer" remington,you better sell it
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

campcreekfarm

I am afraid you are correct sir.  I knew better but she sure likes the feel of the gun >:(.  I just got it back from the gunsmith and shot it 3 times and it cycled fine but I don't trust it as far as I could throw an anvil.

Chuck1443

I had trouble with mine cycling (low brass especially ) I replaced the mag spring with one made by wolf , seems stronger than Remington's and use very , very , very little oil mine runs better dry . I had to polish my 870's chamber (dry steel wool and a drill ) shells were sticking