turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Is this Ammo out of production?

Started by Mike Honcho, May 02, 2013, 03:31:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Honcho

Found two boxes of this at a small gunshop.  I have never seen it before...
2 Questions:

1. Is this still in production?

2. Would it be worth trying on turkeys...(I know it's only 1 1/2 oz)

Also: Price was $ 22.89

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Mike,

That's the old Rem Hevi-Shot loads.  Remington used to reload that I am guessing and Hevishot provided them with the shot.  Hevi-shot and Remington had a contract when all that stuff wasa being produced.  But I heard that Remington decided to end their agreement with Hevi-Shot whan they stopped producing it.  A small fishing/bow shop used to sell that stuff here locally.  The 3.5" 1 and 3/4 #6's of that stuff used to shoot very well out of my Browning Gold semi.  I also bought a box of the 3.5" 1 and 7/8oz #5's that shot very well.  If you find anymore especially the bigger payloads of that stuff in eith 6's or 5's, I would buy it.  I really liked those loads. 

davisd9

That is a waterfowl load and will probably shoot more open than you want.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: davisd9 on May 02, 2013, 05:07:07 PM
That is a waterfowl load and will probably shoot more open than you want.

Yea I jst seen that.  I never did shoot any of those. 

But I would bet it will still beat lead. 

ILIKEHEVI-13

Mike,

I can't remember for sure if the stuff I bought years ago was 3" or 3.5" in the 1 and 3/4oz load of 6's.  But I'm almost positive the 1 and 7/8oz load of 5's was 3.5".  I'm thinking the 6's was 3". 

But man that stuff would really shoot.  And you got 10 in a box. 

I know Clark knows a lot more about this stuff than I do.  I am sure he will chime in later. 

Mike Honcho

The store had 2 boxes of it was all...3" , 1 1/2 oz.,  6's, 1300 fps. 

I may offer him $ 30.00 for the two boxes....it's been sitting there a long time I think.

I'm curious to try it.

Honcho

ILIKEHEVI-13

Mike,

This was some of the ammo that I bought years ago.  Apparently both were 3.5" since my memory was bad above. 

This was a picture from Dallen92 on here who found some of this and bought it.  I tried to buy it off of him but with shipping ammo as you know it ain't cheap and we could'nt come together on an agreeable price.  But this was the good stuff.  If you find any of this in your area, I would buy it all if the price is right. 

Mike Honcho

With those loads being 1 7/8 oz and 1 3/4 oz. in a 3 1/2 , the 1 1/2" oz 3" , 6 loads are probably worth a try. 

If nothing else I've got some duck loads!

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: Mike Honcho on May 02, 2013, 06:10:05 PM
With those loads being 1 7/8 oz and 1 3/4 oz. in a 3 1/2 , the 1 1/2" oz 3" , 6 loads are probably worth a try. 

If nothing else I've got some duck loads!

Only one way to find out. 

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Mike Honcho on May 02, 2013, 03:31:52 PM
Found two boxes of this at a small gunshop.  I have never seen it before...
2 Questions:

1. Is this still in production?

2. Would it be worth trying on turkeys...(I know it's only 1 1/2 oz)

Also: Price was $ 22.89

That ammo has been out of production for several years but about 3 years ago, a warehouse full of those shells was found and offered to many wholesalers and retail stores. It sold in many places for $12.00 per box and reloaders bought it for the shot alone.

They made 2 different 3" turkey loads. The "Magnum" load had 1 5/8 oz. of shot and the "High Velocity" loads had 1 1/2 oz. of shot.

I shot hundreds of those shells and it was the go to shell at still target competition until Remington stopped loading it. Remington used a standard steel shot wad which had too much capacity for those loads and filled the voids with buffer and plastic beads. It was the early Hevi-Shot with no moly coating applied.

That shell still has a number of followers who stocked up and are still using it successfully for turkeys and waterfowl. It was not as good as the current Hevi-13 shells but if you choke it way down, pretty much like small lead shot, it will deliver some amazing patterns.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

bushwhacker

I have killed a pile of toms with the 3" 1 5/8 oz. #5's. I shoot them through an 870 with a 21" barrel and a .665 undertaker. When I started buying those shells they were $19.99 a box at wal mart. Then I got wind they were not going to make them anymore and I found some on sale for $15 a box and bought six boxes. That was ten years ago almost and I still have all six boxes. I put them and that gun up until my son is old enough to handle a 12 gauge.

ILIKEHEVI-13

That's strange.  I never seen the Rem Hevi-Shot shells at any walmarts around here or any other state at the time they made thes shells.

What state are your from?

bushwhacker

I live in southeast Missouri, our local wal mart carried them for one season which is where I first bought them. The next year I bought several boxes from a local pawn shop for $15 a piece.

Mike Honcho

thanks for all the info guys....I'll try and make a deal on them and post results of patterns if I get them.
Honcho