OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

SC 2013 Spring

Started by ccleroy, May 02, 2013, 12:03:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ccleroy

This season has been a total blur to me, hunted every morning except 1. Seen turkeys do things I never have and learned more this season from them than I have in the past 16 seasons of chasing them,alot more humbling going on than fist pumping and smiling but it's what brings us back day after day. To begin it was a struggle, first 3 days I was on red hot turkeys but just could not seal the deal, then the weather turned from great to putting a chill on everything. I couldn't buy a turkey for 2 weeks, and ones I did hear gobble would shut down harder than I've ever witnessed once they hit the dirt. When I did get one in range something would happen, obstructions, other hunters or just plain old bad luck. But eventually things did start to look up and I pulled an old friend out of the gun safe for an epic reunion which seemed to be the tide turner, even had a good buddy call a longbeard up for me, a first just me behind the gun for a hunt and someone else doing the work. I enjoyed the season thoroughly and had some really classic hunts, I tagged one of the birds that I hunted all season long, Killed a Edisto river swamp bird which I try to every year and broke the curse with Capt Tom after 3 season of not killing a bird together and he called it in for me, Broke in my Buice Ironwood trumpet on 3 longbeards and christened the new coco ceramic on 4 others. Cruella came out of the safe and sent 3 to their maker on consecutive days almost like she was telling me "Huh, put me in the corner again slick". Also called in 3 other kills rounding out a heck of a spring. Thank The Lord for this opportunity and beautiful creation, an understanding wife that doesn't try to fight my sickness and for gobbling turkeys. God Bless, enjoy the few pictures. Can I get just one more day?

alloutdoors

Great stuff man, congrats! Love the photos.

DirtNap647

wvboy

Always look forward to your recaps .. congrats man.. I have had a tough time since opening week in VA too.. one of my issues is just finding time to hunt with my Wife's work schedule and a 9 and 7 year old .. I have usually tagged out by now, but it is not looking good for this year ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

tomstopper

Gold Spur

Congrats to all! Nice birds... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

kansas hooks

Congrats on a nice bird!!  Great pics!

boomer

RutnNStrutn

Congrats on a fine season!!! :icon_thumright:
Your's was the exact opposite of mine!! :lol: The birds at our place in the Lowcountry had completely changed their travel patterns and roost sites, had hens roosting with them all the way up until the last day, weren't gobbling very much at all, weren't coming to calls, just frustrating!! Glad somebody had a good season up there!!

rempumpman

A great season for sure; congrats and hope you enjoy many more springs; thanks for posting the pictures; some beautiful birds for sure;
God has always provided the tree, but you never read where he built the nest.

beagler

Never Misses

LONGBEARD22