turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

how should i hunt this old gobbler.

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, May 01, 2013, 08:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TURKEY THUG

I no of a gobbler that roosts in the same place everyday id say. He gobbles a good bit on the roost then he flies down and stays within a 150 yds radius of the tree he will gobble occasionally on the ground. I've tried working him a few times but he never comes to the calls. He just stays right by his roost tree. Hes been doing this for atleast 2 yrs. He was there this morning. I heard him when I was working other birds. This bird is either lazy or smart. He will stay by that tree to atleast noon. That's the longest I've tried working him. I've had buddies come and try to call it in for me after they tagged out with no luck.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

DirtNap647

i would get in there and sit tight as close to that tree as you can...maybe a decoy? good luck

Neill_Prater

I'd slip in early well before daylight, and set up as close as possible. I'd lean toward using a decoy, if the area is open. Decoy or not, I'd call very, very sparingly. Maybe just a couple of extremely soft clucks, then wait for him to hit the ground.

catman529

Get in there while its dark and sit as close to the tree as you can. I'd try to cut him off coming off the roost, or I would sneak up on him on the ground if I had to.

mikejd

I would get so close to his rooste I would see his beard swinging. I also would never call just do some scratching in the leaves with a stick so you can keep your moovement minimal. Have your gun up always. He doesn't sound to tough. If he stays in that small diameter of an area he is vulnerable. If you have not seen him don't underestimate the possibility of hens already with him. I have wslked up on a single tom with as many as 15 hens all the while they were silent. Also if he leaves that spot at all even in the afternoon you may be able to slip in and set yourdef up a natural blind and a safe quiet entry for the AM. I would go no flashlight.
Good luck. You will kill him.

WV TURKEY THUG

Going after him in the morning. He gobbled once right before dark.

Onpoint

Quote from: mikejd on May 02, 2013, 11:57:01 AM
I would get so close to his rooste I would see his beard swinging. I also would never call just do some scratching in the leaves with a stick so you can keep your moovement minimal. Have your gun up always. He doesn't sound to tough. If he stays in that small diameter of an area he is vulnerable. If you have not seen him don't underestimate the possibility of hens already with him. I have wslked up on a single tom with as many as 15 hens all the while they were silent. Also if he leaves that spot at all even in the afternoon you may be able to slip in and set yourdef up a natural blind and a safe quiet entry for the AM. I would go no flashlight.
Good luck. You will kill him.

WV TURKEY THUG

Well I saw him today he gobbled on the roster about 15 times then never gobbled again . He had two hens roosted with him he stayed in the tree till around 7. Well after daylight. He had some more hens come to him also. I was about 100 yds from him. He never presented a good shot. It sure was tough getting out of there without being seen but I managed to do it.  I think it has came to the point I'm gonna have to bring out the rifle. Never shot one with a rifle before should be fun. Hes a dandy that's for sure.

HogBiologist

Can you hunt the afternoon?  If so, set up near his roost tree and catch him coming back to roost.  He should be more receptive in the afternoon.
Certified Wildlife Biologist

WV TURKEY THUG

No I can only wish I could hunt afternoon. We gotta be out by 1. But I think some people here lately misread the regulations. Been hereing shotguns blasting About fly up time. Kinda ticks me off.

WV Ridge Reaper

Shoot the hens then take him out lol!!! Good luck hope you get him.