OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

two longbeards got the best of me today.

Started by WV TURKEY THUG, May 01, 2013, 07:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WV TURKEY THUG

Well this morning I was out trying to find a bird on the roost. With no luck. So I decided to drive to another place on my property that birds like to feed at. On my way there when I was I was driving I heard gobbling out of no were so I put the truck in park not paying attention to the road I was looking down in the woods then I hear gobbling again. There were 2 longbeards in the middle of the road gobbling not 40 yds away. So I sat there for 5 min or so watching them. I was very tempted to get the gun out of the case and step out of the vehicle and blast the biggest one since It was legal to shoot from a private road as long as ur not in the vehicle. But then again I thought what would be the fun of that. So I drive up and scare them off. Then I drive up the road a couple hundred yds and park the truck. Then walked back past were they were at then I tried calling them in they gobbled like crazy for the next hour or so. After that they gobbled every 15 min or so just enough to keep interested in them. I tried everything I could think of. Moved I don't even no how many times. I knew they didn't have hens with them. I tried till noon then quit. And started picking morels that I found while trying to work these birds. I guess I win either way. But that was by far the smartest stupidest birds I've seen. They better watch out tommorow.

WV TURKEY THUG

What would have you guys have done in this situation

surehuntsalot

the way my season has gone,I would have been tempted to shoot,but as you said there is no fun in that.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

DirtNap647

maybe let them get off the road then drive by them, get just outta sight and try to setup on them might just work or come back in the morning they should be in that general area

Uncle Tom

WV Turkey thug, I've played that game before too, and it may surprise you with what has worked for me. I would have drove on by as you did and then walked back to the general area of where they were at, maby not past them as you did. But then again I don't know your terrain and what kind of cover you have. Anyway, will give it a shot. First, when I set up, all I do is give them a couple of light clucks, a small purr and if they gobbled back like you said, then I know I am in the game. If you walked back in 10 -15 minutes from where you were parked, they could not have traveled far, and they could easily hear a soft cluck-purr. Would have set there a long time if they answered my call. Many times all it takes is a scratching in the leaves after maby 30 minutes after a cluck or two. Under no circumstances do I yelp and get all excited at him....just the soft stuff and then only about every 30 minutes. If they were coming and doing less gobbling as they were coming, I will lay you odds that you got up and moved and they were within  hearing of you as you made that move. Patience is what it takes in those situations. Just this past Friday morning, I had one gobble at me no more that 10 yards behind me at 6:40 and I had just cut a couple of limbs to place around my set up, and maby 10 minutes after doing this, he was behind me gobbling. He heard me making those moves, comes in gets behind me and gobbles twice. Like to have blowed me out of my chair.Had not made one call--nothing. He walks right by my set up at 5 to 6 yards, never knew I was there. Walks under a barb wire fence into an open pasture looking for that hen he thought he had heard, and I let him get 28 yards out into the pasture--give him a soft cluck--he turns to look back and probably thinks to himself--How in the h--- did I walk by her over there.BOOM--game over. Never under estimate how keen that hearing is and have killed them with only a cluck. That is all I hardly use and I know they can hear it for 100 yards and more. A cluck and patience is all it takes