turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey burger?

Started by wisconsinteacher, May 01, 2013, 04:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsinteacher

After the season is over, I would like to make turkey burger.  I have a good grinder but my wife and I are in a debate over the idea of adding something to the meat to add fat.  I say we don't add anything and she says we need to add pork to give it some fat.  Any ideas?  We would like it for tacos and chili not for burgers on the grill.

DirtNap647

could always try bacon.  bacon pretty much goes with anything

redarrow

Add nothing. However a little bacon wont hurt. We use store bought turkey all the time.,either bulk ground or frozen patties. Turkey taco's and chili are great.

Ded Goblr

Pork fat, otherwise it will fall apart when you cook it. I have mixed it 50/50 with venison and 20% beef fat as well, comes out great. Try smoking one, makes great smoked turkey sandwiches.

renegade19

Try just a little olive oil.  We use that in deer burger with nothing else added.

chcltlabz

I don't add anything, just grind it straight.  We like it so much I pick every bird I kill clean of every piece of meat I can scrape off the legs, back and wings.  You'd be surprised how much extra meat there is after you take the breast off.  I can get 3 pounds of ground meat off a breasted out turkey.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

earlybird

I mixed some left over from last year with some wild boar,turned out to be some really good sausage.

opster246

I slow cooked the wings, legs, thighs and back meat with a bit of chicken broth until it would fall from the bones, chopped it up pretty fine and made enchiladas with it.  Worked out great.  The tendons pulled right out.  I would think the same would work great for tacos and chili.  You could cook all the meat at once,chop it up and freeze it in the quantities you want for several taco, enchilada, chili meals!  Good luck!  As for burger, i would think you will need to add something to brown it in.  We make goose sausage every year and add pork, but i think some olive oil would work to preserve the turkey flavor and keep it healthier.