OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

San Carlos AZ Hunt

Started by TRKYHTR, May 01, 2013, 10:19:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TRKYHTR

Just got back from my San Carlos Indian Reservation turkey hunt. Had a great time with Jay Scott, Glenn Hall and Tyler Hall. We were into turkeys the whole time but they just didn't want to work like we wanted them to. 3 of us roosted turkeys on Saturday night and Jay and I got set up early. We weren't going to call to the turkey until right before flydown. There were 2 other birds off in the distance that we could hear. So right before flydown I gave him a few soft yelps and he didn't answer. I got a little worried but he sounded like he turned right at me and gobbled. Then he flew down and gobbled on the ground. When I hit him with a soft yelp he cutt me off hard and I knew the game was on. The Mother Lode Exterminator had fooled another one. Then I spotted him walking thru the small trees coming my way. He gobbled 6 more times and when he saw the DSD decoy he went into a 3/4 strut. Then gobbled again. He walked about another 10 yards and then started looking a little nervous. He was well within range so I killed him. He was a beautiful Merriam turkey with 1/2" spurs and  9 1/2" beard, weighing 16.5 lbs. When I picked him up I looked at his view of the decoy and the DSD feeder was straight away from him and it looked like it didn't have a head. I think thats why he was getting a little nervous. He gobbled good and was a movie star. That turkey ended my 2013 turkey season and I don't think it couls have ended any better. Video at the bottom. God is good, all the time.

TRKYHTR

http://youtu.be/tCkYZYewIYY
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

alloutdoors

Nice one Joe, congrats!

redarrow

Dang Joe. That is one battle worn vest . I bet it feels like an old friend when you put it on.Comgrats on a great hunt and video. :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

AUDoubleBeard

Congrats Joe, beautiful bird! :icon_thumright:

stone road turkey calls

great hunt, you guys did well, congrats.
Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

DirtNap647

catdaddy

That's a beautiful bird Joe!!  Congrats on another great season!!

dirtnap

headbanger

Congrats...I'm sure the birds are breathing a sigh of relief now that you are done :OGturkeyhead:

barry

Man his gobble sounded extra loud!
Was that a cattle trail he was walking?

slamman

CONGRATS.  great video too.

ElkTurkMan

That's awesome congrats Joe.  I loved the pictures.

Jbird22

B-E-A-utiful turkey Joe! Congrats!

Gold Spur

Congrats on a beautiful bird! :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

TRKYHTR

Barry it is an old dirt road. Headbanger I am taking a young lady out Saturday to try and kill her first turkey. I talked to the ranchers wife today and sked if she has seen any turkeys. She said you mean the 14 longbeards that were out on my back porch this morning. Lol She said one was pecking her sliding glass dor and she thought it was going to break the glass. They are int trouble come Saturday.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck