OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

PA Opening day Gobbler (pictures added)

Started by tjh24, April 30, 2013, 08:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjh24

PA  Opening Day 4/27/13

I arrived at the cabin on Friday afternoon, just in time do a little scouting and try to roost a bird.  I didn't hear a thing that night, but there are usually some birds that roost up on our mountain.  I planned on getting to my listening spot early and try to hear one and get close.

My day started out early.  I left the cabin at 3:30 am to begin my long hike to my listening spot.  I arrived a little before 5 and waited for daylight to come.  I heard three different gobblers, ranging from 300-500 yards away.  I got as close to the closet gobbler as I could.  It was pretty tough, because the woods are so open this time of year and I didn't want to spook him out of the roost.

As I set up, I heard one of the other members of our camp slowly working his way up the hill on his four wheeler.    The gobblers never said another word on the roost. 

I heard two gobble on the ground a few minutes later.  They were working their way farther away from me.  After a few minutes of debating, I got up and made the really steep climb to the top of the mountain to get above them.  The birds weren't gobbling, but I closed the distance to where I thought they were.  I yelped a few times on my box call and two birds gobbled back at about 80 yards in front and slightly below. 

The birds were downhill of me and I was in a really good spot to call them in.  I quietly sat down at the first spot I could, and let out a few more yelps.  They gobbled back , already closer.  The mountain has a lot of small rises and rocky outcroppings, the birds were strutting and gobbling 30 yards away, just out of sight over the hill.  I could hear them strutting and walking on the dry leaves. 

I had not made another call and I could tell the gobblers were getting antsy.  They gobbled on their own and with each gobble they got more aggressive.  At this point they are within 15 yards, but I still couldnt see them and my heart is going crazy.  Then I hear yelping 60 yards,  crap I think someone else has heard these birds and is coming into them, but it turned out to be a real hen. 

The gobblers come unglued at the yelping and they come right up through a small cut in the rocks.  As soon as the first head came through and I saw a beard, I shot.  He flopped over and rolled down the hill a little bit.  It was an awesomely intense hunt! 

I shot at 7:10 am just as a gorgeous sunrise was peaking over the hills.  This was one of the most scenic and beautiful hunts of all time.  I spent the next hour just soaking in the experience and enjoying Gods wonderful creation.  Hunts like this don't happen too often and I wanted to enjoy every moment of it!

20lbs
9" Beard
1" Spurs

The birds came through to the right of the rock and just above the center of the log in the bottom picture.  That picture is taken from where I was sitting when I shot.

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

JVA54

WildSpur

Congrats.  Good story!
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

beagler

Never Misses

ElkTurkMan

alloutdoors

kansas hooks