turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Got him cut up

Started by rev, April 30, 2013, 04:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rev

Last few years I would freeze my birds by wrapping in plastic wrap, alum foil, and butcher paper,
A old timer told me a easier way by cutting it up and put it in a tuperware bowl and filling it completely full of water and freeze it that way,
Anybody freeze their birds that way?
I have a 1/2 breast left from last years hunt, wrapped in my butcher paper, plastic wrap ,and foil.
How long will it stay good that way.

BHMTitan

I cut my breasts into nugget size pieces, place in ziploc bags, fill w/ water, burp most of the water out while zipping it shut, then freeze.  I've eaten some that was froze for almost 2yrs this way, couldn't taste the difference.

spaightlabs

That's how we always freeze fresh fish - keeps much longer than any other manner.

horsedoctor

Any way you can prevent air from being in direct contact with the meat will prolong freezer life. Covering with water is a way. My freezers are way too full to freeze a lot of water. One of the best investments I ever made was a vacuum packer. I've found some things in my freezer that were 2 & 3 years old and still fine as long as the seal was still intact.

chcltlabz

Quote from: horsedoctor on May 01, 2013, 11:06:47 AM
Any way you can prevent air from being in direct contact with the meat will prolong freezer life. Covering with water is a way. My freezers are way too full to freeze a lot of water. One of the best investments I ever made was a vacuum packer. I've found some things in my freezer that were 2 & 3 years old and still fine as long as the seal was still intact.

You betcha.  Vacuum sealer was the best thing I've bought in a long time.  Wouldn't go without one again.
A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

wvboy

Quote from: gobblegobblegobble on May 02, 2013, 08:26:41 AM
If you don't want to pay through the nose for a vacuum sealer and the special bags, fill your sink with water, put the food in a ziploc bag, seal all but a corner of the bag, and submerge it in the water as far as you can without water getting into the bag. The water pressure will force all the air out of the bag.

Cool concept..

I have a vacuum sealer though..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads