Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Day 1 story

Started by keyser12ga, April 30, 2013, 03:57:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keyser12ga

So far, unfortunately, I've only been able to get out 1 day this season.  Our season in IN runs from Apr 24th-May 12th and I haven't been able to get away. 

Anyway, opening morning it was a light drizzle so I drove 1.5 hours to the property I hunt, got out of the car, and then the sky's opened up, ha.  Luckily, I had thrown the blind in the truck.  I'm set up on a ridge that overlooks 2 fields with a finger running between the 2.  I heard nothing all morning but about an hour after dawn, I had 7 jakes come running by at about 30 yards.  It was kind of weird as they didn't even stop to look at the hen decoy I'd thrown up, and ran right on by.   About 30 min's late, I saw a gobbler easing toward the field to my right standing about 30 yards inside the wood line ( I only have permission to hunt the woods, not the field.  He stopped and began surveying the field.  I gave a couple of light purrs and clucks and he could have cared less.  Light yelping made him look but nothing more.  I put my dot on him and watched at he stood there just watching the field for about 20 min's. 

Now here is the thing, It's really overcast, lots of shadows in the woods and I am approx 20 yards from the edge of the ridge, it's about 20 feet down the ridge that you can't see the bottom of due to the steep angle, and he is down in that valley.  I guess due to the lighting/elevation, I could not for the life of me figure exactly how far he was.  At one point I was going to squeeze on him, but there was a little brush to contend with.  He continued to ignore me and walked away into the field and there is nowhere I can go to get around on him.  After the fact, I was really frustrated as I probably could have made the shot and he was the biggest gobbler I've seen since I've been hunting.  When headed in, I paced the path off and he was about 60 yards from where I was.  Do any of you use a range finder when hunting turkey? 

t_eagen13

No I dont use a rangefinder. Most times I feel lve got a pretty good idea of when their within 40 yards or so. I think it would be hard to get away with the movement. Though you could always range different objects before the turkeys come in to give you a better idea. Thats what I do when bow hunting deer. Prevents a lot of movement and gives you one less thing to think about when theyre coming in.

ElkTurkMan

I have never toted one, but often thought about it, especially when hunting fields.   Like Travis said, if I ever did carry one I would range a few objects as I was setting up.  Keep after them bud! 

harvester

For me, I ain't gonna use one. To ME, it's about how close I can call them and not how far I can shoot them. I can kill them at 50 but its a lot more fun at 20.

unclerick

No I don't carry one but when I thought about carrying a bow I was going to get one, I'm alot like Dustin on get them close, 10 to 12 steps is were I like to call them in, but that is heart breaking when a big one like that taunts you like that.
Before all else fails,talk to Jesus

keyser12ga

Thanks guys,  I think that's what held me back from shooting him.  It was just like sitting in a stand waiting for a deer and not so much turkey hunting.  I would have felt better about it if he would have at least gobbled at me, ha.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

harvester

Quote from: keyser12ga on May 01, 2013, 08:47:33 AM
Thanks guys,  I think that's what held me back from shooting him.  It was just like sitting in a stand waiting for a deer and not so much turkey hunting.  I would have felt better about it if he would have at least gobbled at me, ha.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

lol, yea them quiet birds aint much fun to deal with.

mfd1027

I'd have shot the "piss" out of him!! lol   I love to call em in close but think about it.   You've driven an hr. and a half.  It's raining.  You've picked this strategic spot to put up your ground blind so you can endure the conditions and lo and behold you've been blessed with this chance. Have you patterned your gun at 60?  That's the answer.  If you have and you have confidence at that range- squeeze the trigger.    I always have a range finder with me because I'm always deer scouting and I'm picking out stand sites and ranging trails and trees.  Also, if you hunt here in Ky. you will hunt field birds.  It's inevitable.  Judging birds out in the open is very different than judging them in the woods.   
Dan