turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

#6 Lead

Started by EDP1, April 30, 2013, 03:39:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EDP1

Does anyone here shoot lead #6 and how far would you take a shot with them?

redarrow

I used to shoot copper plated lead. did so for years.No problem out to 40 yards.

WildTigerTrout

I use Win. 12 ga. 3.5" Supreme HV  2 oz. #6 shot. I will say at 40 yards they are DEAD! I also use 3" #6 in my 20 ga. and they are good to about 35 yards. I even use #6 in my Browning 10 ga. BPS. Number 6 is my favorite shot size for turkeys. No complaints at all! ;D
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

barry

This may be old news to you but...
Pattern your gun with these shells to see what it will do.
Full choke or tighter is optimum for good patters at longer ranges
Assuming you're shooting a 12 ga, start patterning at 25-30 yards then increase 5 yards at a time to get your max effective range.
What is max effective range? I shoot at a sheet of printer paper - 8 1/2 x 11 - with a 7 1/2 inch circle on it. My max range ends when I can no longer put at least 50 #6 shot in this circle. This insures a clean kill. Sure I could probably make the kill at a longer distance with less shot but it's not worth wounding a bird by taking that chance.
That's my 2 cents worth, hope it was helpful.

BHMTitan

WinX #6 in my 12g A5 works!

TauntoHawk

Never had a bird escape a swarm of #6 lead I fired at any range  :newmascot: I missed with Hevi once though
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

trackerbucky

As someone else said, if your gun will pattern them then they will kill out to 40 yds.  I use Win 3 1/2 HV 2 oz. #6 and my BPS patterns them effectively out to 40 yds.  That is my self imposed limit and I have taken a couple at that range and they went down right now.
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

slamman

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 30, 2013, 07:14:00 PM
Never had a bird escape a swarm of #6 lead I fired at any range  :newmascot: I missed with Hevi once though

I missed 3 times with HEVI when I was going for a Single Season Royal Slam after the 3rd miss I switched my shells back to Winchester Supreme 12ga 3" 1300fps 1 3/4oz  #6 and have not missed since.  Despite HEVI I still took was able to complete my Single Season Royal Slam.

surehuntsalot

I used Federal 20ga lead #6 shells last year to take my 3 birds here in Ms.
I prefer #5's,but I also shoot 6's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Gooserbat

Win #6 is all I use,  It will do the 40 yards + fuge factor.  But most importantly know your gun and it's limitations.  There are some shells that I wouldn't push much past 30.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

WV TURKEY THUG

Shot a bird last year at 50 yds.longest shot I've took on a bird drop him right there on the spot. I was useing Winchester 3 1/2 #6 I believe they were copper plated though. With mossberg 835. Got the shells at walmart. But 50 yds is really pushing it.

ElkTurkMan

I used to shoot 3" Federal #6's, and out of my 870 it was good out to 40.

snapper1982

killed alot of birds with #6s. i am by no means advocating they are good at this distance and it is my fault i missjudged the distance and my defence is that there was a dip in the feild but i once killed one at 57 yards with federal 3.5/2/6s with fcw wad. killed one last year at 46 but i knew he was that far.  killed alot at 40 yds + or - a couple yards

budtripp

Lead 6's are great, I shoot Winny HV 3.5" 5's though because my Benelli shoots them better. My 11-87 would throw a mean pattern with win hv 3" 6's though.

boomer

I use Winchester HV 3 1/2 2oz #6 with a IC choke out of a Sbe. I would feel real comfortable shooting to 50yrds but prefer that they are under 30yrds. Last year made a bad judgement in distance shot one at 62 steps. Dropped where he stood.