turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Any thoughts on Dakota decoys

Started by RS, April 30, 2013, 11:52:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RS

I see where Cabelas has the Dakota jake decoy on sale now and I've thought about ordering one, but have no experience with these decoys.  Would it be worth the expense?

lightsoutcalls

If you are talking about the printed 2 dimensional decoys with the spring steel frame...  Buy yourself a decent lunch and save your money.  They are very compact, but I wouldn't bother with them.  I had a pair of hens years ago and tried them in OK on a field edge.  The wind was blowing about 8-10 MPH.  Although I had the elastic band around the peg on the side of the stake to keep them from flapping in the breeze, they looked swung and flapped around like crazy.  Being 2 dimensional (flat), from any angle it would have appeared the hen was there one second, then gone the next, back again, gone again...

DSD period.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

RS

MG150

I saw the jake decoy you're talking about on Cabela's website also.I went to Dakota Decoys home website to find out more information.Their a small family owned business in South Dakota mainly known for their Canada goose and duck decoys.Hired Dave Constantine to carve this jake.No where on their website I could find out where their decoys were made.By looking at other forums about their jake decoy people stated that it was a Chinese copy of DSD's jake.Looks very similar to me.I don't own a DSD,but everyone on this forum that does swears that nothing compares to them.

30_06

I am not a fan if for nothing else than their business practices. I do think the actual decoy is not made as well or painted as well as the DSD, but when the owner of a company lies to me it, and attempts to misrepresent himself it tends to leaves a bad taste in my mouth.