turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Really Good WV Season

Started by Deadeye, April 30, 2013, 08:57:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deadeye

Things came together well last week as I had called in a half dozen toms and taken 2 for myself in the first three days of the season.  I've learned to really appreciate days like these!  Taking 2 for myself was nice, but what was real special was calling in a nice tom for 13 year old Hunter Smith from North Carolina.  It was his first turkey and making it all the better was Hunter is the grandson of my longtime friend Jack Smith, also from NC.  Jack, Hunter, and Hunter's dad Mark, traveled to WV to hunt with me a couple days last weekend and as it turned out I was able to guide and call in his first gobbler.  Hunter has to be one of the nicest kids I've been around. It was "yes sir" and "no sir" always.  He referred to me as Mr. Fred.  When the two toms and a hen (I was working the hen who dragged in the toms with her) showed I asked Hunter if he could see them and if he had a shot.  He replied he did see them but it wasn't clear to shoot. Cool for a 13 yr old. I told him to take his time and when it felt right to pull the trigger.   When the birds started to get nervous and began to angle away I made a few soft clucks stopping them...which was followed by a "BANG".  Dead bird!  Hunter showed a lot of composure during all the excitement and is a testament to the upbringing/training he had received from his dad and grandpa.  This was the highlight of my season.

My first tom taken on opening day, 19#, 10" beard, 1" spurs

Second tom taken on Weds last week, 18#, 8 1/4" beard, 3/4" spurs

Hunter Smith's First Gobbler, 9 1/4" beard, 20#, 1" spurs

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

longbeard11

Absolutely awesome!! Way to go man. Been rough for most of the state I think so far, but birds should start acting better soon, alot of hens arent even on the nest yet. What part of the state are you in?

Deadeye

I live in the northern panhandle. Hens were in play on most all the toms I worked. Of the two I killed and the one young Hunter killed all had a hen coming to me and pulling the gobblers with them.  I've had ticked off hens do this before, but not like this spring when it happened almost back to back. I just messed with the hens and got them cutting, spitting, and yelping aggressively loud as they came to kick my butt! I cut them off and tried to imitate their calls. Was fun.  I had another set up where I saw two longbeards in a field with a hen, except when I called she actually ran into the woods. You could almost see the puzzled look on their faces. She apparently didn't want anything to do with me, not like the other hens I had dealt with.  Anyway she left and the two toms came to me. I was calling for my boss who was bowhunting. I got them to about 35 yards but not where he could get an arrow thru. Would have been a slam dunk with a shotgun! This spring was not typical when it comes to hens reacting and coming as much as they did. Like said, I've had hens come in before but this year it was the norm where I was hunting, and their boyfriends paid for it!

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

DirtNap647

earlybird

Congrats,you gotta love callin in birds for the kids,i think it feels better than killin one myself.Its been a good season so far here in the mtns,gobblin good,bigger birds still seem to have a lot of hens later in the morning.

alloutdoors

Congrats on some nice birds!

beagler

Never Misses