OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Heading to GA....any advice?

Started by weave, April 29, 2013, 07:40:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

weave

Going to be in GA this coming weekend and most of next week.

Never been there for birds, any advice on late season tactics or what to expect for activity?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

gatrapper

Knowing when to stop calling and shutting up for a bit works wonders on those tough birds.  I also never call to a bird on the roost anymore.  They will stick with hens all the time and the hens will take them away right off roost.  Our afternoons are hot, but the hunting can be excellent during that time too.
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

savduck

Gobble at them and bring jake decoys.

In my part of the state they are ganged back up in bachelor groups and more interested in gobblers than hens, very little roost gobbling. Have heard more gobble around 8:00 to 10:00 AM. If they do start coming they've been hanging up around 60 to 70 yards. Roost gobbling has been around 6:20 AM.

I'd suggest call and if one if coming run forward 40 yards and don't call anymore or if hunt with a partner and call from 30 yards behind them.

Hope they act right for you. Maybe you'll get lucky and find some that want to play.

Bring thermacell.
Georgia Boy

stone road turkey calls

Stone Road Turkey Calls / Gary Taylor
2013 Norseman 3rd place pot call
2013 Grand national 6th place pot call
2014 Midwest 3rd place pot call
2015 Midwest 5th place HM Tube call

fountain2

Where ya gonna b?  It should be getting good now with hens on nests likely

weave

Quote from: fountain2 on April 30, 2013, 02:32:56 PM
Where ya gonna b?  It should be getting good now with hens on nests likely

Lumpkin County

fountain2

Dang..I'm a good ways south..just go at em like you would bout any other turkey. 

DirtNap647

dont forget your gun ...lol good luck

Isomaad

Be sure to take spray for the Georgia state bird (gnats)!  Good luck and shoot one in the face!

tomstopper

NFW

good luck man ill be around Leary next week too.

weave

Thanks guys! I got the gun, got the bow, and got the ThermaCELL. Got my decoys, got my blind, I got my vest, and my calls. I got my boots, got my shells, got my arrows, and got my wallet.

The only thing I need is a buncha turkey who are ready to die add meet the dinner plate.

weave

The monsoon down here finally subsided but have yet to get even a hint of a gobble......