OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

PA Opening Day Tom

Started by PAbigbear, April 29, 2013, 05:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PAbigbear

I've been out scouting every chance I can get before work , after work and on the weekends for the past month.  I've been watching a longbeard, three jakes and 8 hens on some state forest land that were regularly seen in the same spots.  I went out Friday night to roost them and was able to sneak in and actually see all of them right before dark.  He gobbled 8 times on the limb.  Saturday morning found me set up and waiting for him to hit the food plot at 0500.  He let out his first gobble way earlier than normal at 0521.  He didn't seem to hot on the limb, but I figured since he had hens he really had no reason to be very vocal.  I could heard another gobbler way off in the distance and the three jakes that normally accompany him in the field.  A shot rang out in the direction the other gobbler was to which he shock gobbled.  I later found out it was my brother doing the shooting, but was a clean miss.  I heard a couple birds fly down sat patiently waiting on them to walk into my setup.  I let out a few purrs because I knew there were a few hens that were separated from the rest of the flock from the previous night.  About 5 minutes after flydown I catch movement off to my right.  It was the tom following  hens.  I watched him for the next 20 minutes or so strutting the entire time about 60 yards from me.  The three jakes were on their way in and gobbling good.  As soon as they entered the field the tom left his hens and began chasing the jakes, by doing so it lead him right into a load of Hevi Mag Blend at 0645.  This was another very special turkey to me since it was my second PA triple trophy in 3 years, all taken on state forest land.
21lbs
9" beard
1" spurs

The buck.  Scored 137"

The bear.  393lbs dressed weight.

alloutdoors

DirtNap647

Ruger M77

I eat therefore I hunt

tomstopper

jakebird

Wow! Congrats on a heckuva accomplishment! That is super cool!
That ol' tom's already dead. He just don't know it yet .... The hard part is convincing him.

Are you REALLY working that gobbler, or is HE working YOU?

ElkTurkMan

That's awesome man love the public land trifecta, and it sure is nice to break the ice opening day.

captin_hook

WV Ridge Reaper

What an accomplishment!! Good for you for putting in the time and getting rewarded.

Wrangler95

Very nice going,congrats!!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

strutnva

Congrats, very nice buck and bear also.

WildSpur

Awesome! 

Dcnr has some great land to hunt!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

TauntoHawk

nice Tom, that buck and bear are something special on PA public. those are some great trophies!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

tjh24

That is one incredible triple trophy!!! Great job man, all mature animals!  I have been trying for years, but havent been able to do it, crazy thing is twice ive killed both my buck and bear on state land, but could never get the gobbler.  That is an awesome accomplishment!