Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

craziest turkey hunt ive ever been on......

Started by dixiedeerslaya, April 29, 2013, 04:43:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dixiedeerslaya

i dont post on here much but read alot.  i figured you guys would get a kick out of this one...

I woke up at 3am Saturday morning and met up with my buddy trent smith to hunt some public land with him.. I had never hunted public land so I had my doubts, but was looking forward to giving it a shot. We arrived pretty early and sat in the truck for atleast an hour waiting for daylight. A few trucks came by, but not too many. As it got light we walked to a listening spot and had a bird gobble within a few minutes. Trent said he knew exactly where he was roosted so we struck out and headed that way. We eased to within 100 yards or so of his tree but he never gobbled again once we sat down. We heard a hen yelp a few times very close to the gobbler and figured there was no need to call to him. So we sat there for a while just hoping he would maybe fly down and feed our way. Between then and flydown time we heard another gobbler back behind us and two more a LONG ways infront of us. Eventually we caught movement and we watched the bird we sat up on feed on up the ridge about 125 yards away. I called to him then and he gave us a courtesy gobble but continued on following the hen. In the mean time the birds that were a long ways off was gobblin at everything. Double, and triple gobbling. They gobbled so much that I was convinced it had to be jakes. Either way we decided to move closer and see what happened. We eased up 150 yards or so and called to them. They answered and double and triple gobbled again, but they were in pretty much the same place. So we moved forward another 50 yards or so and sat down. As soon as we got settled I called again and they responded, but had already cut the distance in half. A few minutes later trent sees two turkeys fast walking towards us about 120 yards out, and a minute or two later they are at 40 yards coming straight to us. The lead bird gets in my gap and we realize that it's a long beard. We were trying for a double so I had to wait on a shot. The second bird was 8-10 feet behind the lead bird, when the lead bird saw something he didn't like and got squirrelly. Trent told me to go ahead and shoot, and I rocked his head at 26 yards. The other bird took off running but made the mistake of stepping in a gap that trent had and he rolled him at 40 yards with his new 20ga. Hell yea. He got the whole thing on video too. We check out our birds and talk back through the hunt. We took a few pics and decided to move the turkeys over to a little water hole for a better back ground for a few more pics.

And this is when things got weird.........

The video will tell the rest of the story......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHjBQxMpEkw&feature=youtu.be

Hopefully we can get trents video uploaded because his was the best. Not only did he get the two kills on video, but he also was able to capture the first few moments of the deer coming in. our reactions were priceless because we had no idea what was about to happen. We played it back later and were rolling laughing. Haha.

a few pics....

this pic says it all.... guns, dead turkeys, and a live deer in the same frame. haha

doublebarrel

That is wild!!!! Though I gotta figure he ain't gonna last the fiest day of deer hunting.

MouthCaller

:TooFunny: That last pic of your buddy is priceless..... poor deer.... Id love to have a pet deer but I think taxadermist are the only ones who can legally have a pet deer (I think)  ???

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

GobbleNut

Now that was one of the coolest things I have ever seen!  What an awesome experience that must have been. 

DirtNap647

AUDoubleBeard

tomstopper

alloutdoors

remmy1187

ElkTurkMan

Tha tis awesome congrats!  I loved the pictures.

captin_hook

That was pretty cool. Congrats on the birds as well.

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

That was very funny and congrats on the turkeys!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

renegade19

What in the world?  Congrats on the double!