OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Finally happened in TN

Started by taylorjones20, April 29, 2013, 04:22:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

taylorjones20

My cousin and I have been hunting hard in west TN without any luck.  Just didn't seem like it was ever going to happen.  But, it finally did!

We walked in early headed towards a big grass field that in years past the turkeys used a lot. But, we just hadn't seen them much in it this year.  Standing at the edge of the field we decided we were going to split up because we didn't know where they would be roosted and wanted to better our chances of at least one of us getting a gobbler!

He started around the edge of the field and then one started gobbling.  Come to find out, he was within 20 yards of my cousin!  So he set up immediately!  I eased around the field and got within about 100 yards of them.  They gobbled pretty good on the roost.  About 6:10 five hens flew down on the other side of the field about 300 yards away and just started feeding.  The gobblers were still on the roost but not gobbling as much.  At 6:23 I decided I would call VERY softly - no response.  At 6:25 I heard them start flying and one flew down in front of me at 50 yards.  The other one flew down in front of my cousin at 5 yards.  The turkey heard his safety click and started to leave but he managed to get a shot at 35 yards and down he went.  Well of course it spooked the one in front of me and turned to run but I jellied his head at 60 yards.  He didn't even flop!

It's been a tough season but it finally happened!

My cousins gobbler:  20lbs, 8" beard, 1" spurs
My gobbler: 20lbs, 9" beard, 1 1/4" spurs

Mine has beard rot in 3 different places...
Alive only by the Grace Of God

tomstopper

Congrats to the both of you on some good birds.....

alloutdoors

Congrats, are the one bird's legs actually as white as they look in the photo?

taylorjones20

Quote from: alloutdoors on April 29, 2013, 06:51:19 PM
Congrats, are the one bird's legs actually as white as they look in the photo?

Yes, I have never seen one like this but that was the first thing we noticed.  They are white! lol

catman529

That's a quick hunt, congrats to both of you.

DirtNap647

captin_hook

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

beagler

Never Misses

renegade19

Gold Spur

Congrats to the both of you.... :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

taylorjones20

Thank you all very much for the congratulatory remarks.

God Bless and good luck.

slamman

boomer