OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

BACK FROM VA. TURKEY CAMP 2013

Started by GOLD HUNTER, April 28, 2013, 06:23:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLD HUNTER

Guys I got home and had time to write up the story of our 26th. camping/turkey trip 2013.

We started out at 1:00 p.m. on April 8th and headed toward the National Forest mountains of VA in Craig County.  We got there and parked the campers and unhooked and set up camp.  We preset up the camp for our 20 day stay. We went out on the 10th, 11th, and 12th and listened for birds.

Opening day started at 4:00 AM and I had my buddy Rob stay the night and we set up and I called in a 20 lb bird with a 8" beard, sorry but i did not take the camera to camp and did not get a pic of us with his gobbler, but it was a nice one. Debbie got the camera to me the next day for the cook-out. Although we all heard birds on the mountain we were the only ones to kill one on opening day.

Sunday, April 14th we had our annual family/friend BBQ cookout.  All the guys at the camp provided the chicken and everyone else attending was to bring a covered dish. We had a total of 15 people there when we said grace before eating and we had a lot of food to eat.

The kids had time to play in the creek and we all had a time of fellowshipping together.

We all heard birds and killed a few nice ones and here are a few pictures of our camping trip.

The man Mr. Stan Potts and his wife Teresa came to the cook-out !!!

I called in a few nice birds but had no good shots on them, but i had better luck on the 22nd. i set up on 2 nice gobblers and after the fly down and @ 6:32 a.m. it was all over and i was tagged out. 10 1/8 beard with 1" spurs about 20.lb

Richard is the man that took me under his wing 26 years ago. This year he was feeling better after last year he was not in the best of health and only hunted a few days. He had been to the Doctor a few times, Richard had to go and have some testing done just before we all went to camp last year and he had prostate cancer and it was not looking good. Richard had the surgery and is doing much better this year, after tagging out we set up on this bird on the 24th and i called it up for him. It had a 10 1/4 beard with 1" it was a great day, Richard is 68 .

We had a camp fire most nights.

Well thats this years camp trip and it was a long 3 weeks and i'd like to say congrats to all the guys that got birds on the site .

Brian

Wingboneman

That looks like a lot of fun.. Congrats on some nice birds!!  :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

hookedspur

Looks like you all had some good fun and fellowship along with some nice birds. Congrats..
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

slamman

looks like a fun camp congrats on the nice birds.  why did you leave ;D

WV Ridge Reaper

That's pretty neat that you guys do that!!

tomstopper

Congrats on the birds & an awesome time.....

Wrangler95

:z-guntootsmiley:

Congrats on the gobblers and the camping trip sure looked fun!
Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!

alloutdoors

Looks like a good time, congrats on the birds!

DirtNap647

vaturkey

Great pics Brian ! Congrats on the nice gobblers ! Teresa & myself had a great time ! Thanks for the invite ! Hope to see you & Debbie soon.

Take Care  Ricky (Aka Stan Potts )   :newmascot:
Vaturkey

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

runngun

Y'all done went and had a bunch of fun!!!

Sent from my MB865 using Tapatalk 2

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

spaightlabs

Thanks for sharing tha Gold Hunter - always enjoy the story or your turkey camp.

Congrats on a great bird.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I, too enjoy your pictures every year you provide us.  Simply awesome!  I feel ike I was there they are that good.  Stan Potts is a looking good now!