turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Moss 835 + Stardot + 3" Mag Blend

Started by thundrchikin, April 28, 2013, 11:17:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thundrchikin

Has anyone shot this combo for #'s in 10" All I've seen are the 3 1/2's #'s  I know all guns are different but just curious.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I shot the 3.5" magblend in my 835 and Star Dot choke at a taped 40yds a few weeks ago and got 190 in the 10"  I wasn't impressed.  I only shot one shell.  But I seen enough.  I put a 300525 3.5" Hevi-13 #7 shell in and got 300 in the 10". 

thundrchikin

Thanks I'd seen that post,was really interested in the 3's though. Local store has a few boxes, just kinda wanting to get a rough estimate about what I could expect from them.

ILIKEHEVI-13

They aren't bad shells.  But they aren't near as good as the 7's.  Heck I got 180 shot in the 10" with the 3.5" Hevi-13 #6's.  I just don't think the magblend shells are worth the money like what you get with the Hevi-3 7's.  The Hevi-13 #7's will easily zip through a turky neck at 40yds.  And you got a lot more hits doing the work while hitting a turkey. 

turkey buster

id call this a $35 experiment  :lol:  try them and see what ya get. as seen in other posts im a magnum blend fan and our friend ILIKEHEVI-13 is a heavy 7 fan. nothing wrong with either shell if its shoots good in your gun.

and ILIKEHEVI-13 i plan on grabbing some 7's one day just to see  ;)

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: turkey buster on April 28, 2013, 07:05:26 PM
id call this a $35 experiment  :lol:  try them and see what ya get. as seen in other posts im a magnum blend fan and our friend ILIKEHEVI-13 is a heavy 7 fan. nothing wrong with either shell if its shoots good in your gun.

and ILIKEHEVI-13 i plan on grabbing some 7's one day just to see  ;)

I think you will see why I shoot them.  I'm not knocking folks that shoot magblends or the loads.  But what I honestly think is the magblends were a marketing tool to those that kept telling Hevi-Shot folks to give us a blend when we really didn't need one.  All your doing with the blends is losing pellet counts of more 7's that can as I said zip plum through a turkey head and neck at 40yds.  So there really is no killing advantage with the blends.  I would much rather have as many shot I could put inside the head and neck of a turkey at say 30 or 40yds than to have way less hits with what few bigger pellets do actually hit their mark.  Think of it this way.  What would you rather be hit by; a few yellowjackets or a swarm of them?  That's my logic of why the 7's are bad medicine.  It's just a lot harder to miss with the 7's on the vitals is all there is to it vs the other loads.  That's not saying they can't be effective.  Just stating my case.

davisd9

I got 180 with that combo.  Great hunting pattern!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

thundrchikin

Bottomland

i got around the same numbers as d9 when i shot a 3 inch blend but i was using a rhino.  Dont know if that helps but thought id share anyway

surehuntsalot

the 20ga magblends work real well in my 870 youth with a .570 tightwad choke and they were not as expensive as the hevi 7's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase