OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Poll:Average shot distance this season

Started by the Ward, April 28, 2013, 07:44:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

at what distance did you take your bird this season?

under 10 yards
1 (1%)
10-20 yards
18 (17.5%)
20-30 yards
38 (36.9%)
30-40 yards
45 (43.7%)
missed!
1 (1%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Bigspurs68

Saw 13 birds shot this spring. From 4 steps to 42 yards.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

alclark2

33 for me... One short, 40ish

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Timberland Taxidermy

All of the turkeys I saw shot at this year were inside 15 yds, most of those at 7 steps. I had one of my best years ever, with 45 birds at less than 10 yards (23 Toms) and another 17 birds inside 30yds. (10 Toms). I watched 13 of them die with the majority of those being bow kills. The three I killed were all 7 steps or less, all with a bow.   

the Ward

Hard hunting for me this year, the weather didn't help any, lot of windy, rainy cold days. Was lucky enough to take a beautiful gobbler after a lot of work. It also was the longest shot I have ever taken, just a little bit over 30 yards. He had such a big body and freakishly big head that I thought he was closer! It was also the first bird I have tagged using htl. I was shooting win. xtended range hd 4s thru a kicks .665 in my Vinci. I was amazed at the performance of that load. It literally flipped him over and he never even quivered or flopped once.

owlhoot

20-30 this year as usual.  But i know i will still strive for the ever tighter patterning choke and load :z-dizzy: :help:

jblackburn

28 yard avg. 9 yards, 20 yards, and one past acceptable OG range.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Rockhound

zelmo1

52, 25, and 15. I got progressively lucky.

Onpoint

teke

Triple B

20 yards for me. My Excalibur crossbow shoots dead nuts at 20 yards,so that is where I set my decoys.

Vabirddog

Either shot or was in on 8 kills this spring. All were taken under 30 yds, from 12 to 27. 
Incidentaly and uncharacteristically we had three misses this year all less than 30 yds as well.

Gooserbat

I usually try to shoot mine at around 30 yards.  I killed birds this season from an over estimated 40 (actually 47) to a close 22.  My average shot was 37.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

TauntoHawk

34 average on the 6 I saw die. Which is right around most year if I remember correctly it's usually right around 31 average.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Tail Feathers

One at 12, one at 20.  Those were both Easterns.
When I go after Rios my average tends to be higher.  The open terrain they live in makes longer shots more likely.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!