OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Is this common?

Started by jim67, April 27, 2013, 06:35:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim67

Begining of the season I had gobblers roosted on or next to my property,got one the other week. Had my blind set up this morning where they can be called in,not too far from where they roosted,got settled and nothing.Then I heard gobbling on another property which I have permission to hunt so I high tailed it toward the nearest bird but couldnt seal the deal.Seems to me they moved. Is this common? I may move to the other property next weekend. They were gobbling like crazy.I dont know if someone was hunting the roost previous because I cant get up there very much. I havent seen my neghbor who said he was gonna hunt but he could have busted their roost?

DirtNap647

ya turkeys will move there roost not awlways maybe due to pressure or i notice as the year goes on the pastures green up and they start getting the bugs out of the fields so they change there food source

jim67

Ok thanks.That makes sense because I believe it happened last season also, but didnt think anything aout it.

surehuntsalot

the birds here I hunt have never roosted in the same area twice in the 12 years that I have been hunting there
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

va wingbone

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 28, 2013, 08:50:51 PM
the birds here I hunt have never roosted in the same area twice in the 12 years that I have been hunting there
same here, after 22 years of turkey hunting I've only seen one tree that you could obviously tell had been roosted in more than once. Most of the time they seem to be one the move all of the time and may roost any where from 400 yards to a mile away from one night to the next
"around here, turkey hunting is more like a religion than a pastime.getting close to nature, getting back to where we most belong is something we hold sacred.when we do get to take one home, we do so with reverence"

TRKYHTR

The turkeys I hunt will roost in the same tree year after year. But I hunted AZ Merriams this last weekend and they moved almost every day. I guess it just depends on the turkey and how safe they feel where they are at.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

troutfisher13111

The turkey here follow the tractors. Anytime a field gets plowed or disked, they move in for a few days. Then it's off to the next. Sometimes it can be a mile away.