turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Jakes effect on Longbeards?

Started by GOOSESLAYER, April 27, 2013, 02:42:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOOSESLAYER

I've had gobblers come in with jakes, gobblers come in with jakes and hens in the past. And seen a gobbler with 2 jakes and three hens while scouting this one spot.

My question is since the start of the season theres NO gobbling on the roost. And all I've seen are hens and jakes. Group of 5 jakes and group of 3 jakes.

I know jakes will beat up on a longbeard and keep them quite. But why would I not be seeing gobblers with hens or even gobblers by themselves. The jakes aren't even with the hens.

Thanks

turkey buster

from my past experiences with this is that if a gobbler is out numbered by jakes he tends to be elsewhere. now 1 on 1 or more gobblers than jakes the little jakes are way more skittish of getting that whopping. your best option is to keep scouting and its a possability the gobbler has found some hens to himself that your missing.

Fatbeard

We ran into that on a farm this year. There were 17 jakes that split into 2 groups. Opener of the juvenile we had a Tom gobble and 9 jakes ran in and ran him into the next county it seemed like. The next day Sunday we had 2 Longbeards and the one group came in and ran them around purring and going on and the 2nd group came in and ran the birds off. I have heard very little gobbling on that farm. But I will take 17 jakes which will turn into 2 year olds next year! But they can be a nuisance
East TN Beard Buster