OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Season Over with #3

Started by ads1, April 26, 2013, 05:34:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ads1

It was a beautiful morning! Temperature was 46 degrees F, wind east at 4 mph, barometric pressure 30.40 inches, relative humidity 68%, and dew point was 36 degrees F. I got up at 3:00 a.m. and cooked some smoked sausage for a snack, took a banana, two energy bars, and some water. Previously I had taken in my chair, blind, and decoys, to my setup area so this morning all I had to do was walk in under a full moon. After I set out the decoys consisting of 5 hens and a jake, I settled in for the duration. I knew I would have trouble calling any long beard that was with a hen, so I was determined to sit at this one location as long as needed or until 1:00 a.m. and hope that I would catch a love-sick gobbler late morning.
After killing a long beard on the second day of the first season and a long beard on the first day of the second season, I had a long wait until season 4 opened on April 25. This gave me ample time to scout and pick up travel patterns for birds in the area.I hunt within a mile or two of where I live so scouting comes easy.
As the sun came up the crows ignited the gobblers on two sides of my location and shortly after legal light, four jakes came to my setup and then moved on.I could hear frequent gobbling to my west, but maybe 200 to 300 yards away. At about 9:00 a.m. I heard some loud angry purring and a fight broke out between two hens, not farther than 10 to 15 yards from my location. They had walked in on my blind side; talk about getting your heart pumping!!! Both hens had small slender beards. After they moved on I had a smoked sausage sandwich and a banana and enjoyed nature and the surroundings. I would call on my Lynch Turkey Call model 101 every 20 to 30 minutes and could hear a gobbler respond and he was closing the distance, but I couldn't see him. I was purring and calling lightly when I heard a strange sound behind me and then two gobblers were coming at me off to my left. They were also making strange sounds. I have never heard spitti and drummin but this was probably what I was hearing. So now I have a turkey behind me and two long beards off to my left. The pair of turkeys almost got within shooting range when the rear turkey jumps up in the air and runs away for 10 to 12 yards. I don't know how to use a mouth call very well but I had nothing to lose here. Sure enough they turned around and came back toward me. They were a bit leery so when they got within range I squeezed the trigger on my Super Vinci with Indian Creek choke and a 3 1/2 in Hevi 13 Blend shell. One dead bird was flopping in the mud and water in the field. He was a mess, many of the breast feathers were gone and feathers on his legs were sparse. This turkey was a mess, he had some battle scars, but I was proud to cash in my final turkey permit and head to the house at 11:30 a.m. The turkey weighed 26 pounds with the wet and mud, had a 240 mm beard, and 20 mm spurs. This was a great way to end my season. Thanks to everyone who provided advice on turkey hunting, I have had so much fun!
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

alloutdoors

beagler

Never Misses

boomer

tomstopper

DirtNap647

slamman

congrats on a nice bird and successful season.

Wrangler95

Give Thanks Unto The Lord,For He Is Good,His Love Endures Forever!