OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Roosted Hangup

Started by belcikmj, April 25, 2013, 06:04:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

belcikmj

Took my first turkey this past Monday on opening day here in Ohio. I have hunted every day since then on the same property and every morning I have had this one really nice tom roosted in the same tree about 70 from my setup. I get setup every morning about 5:15 and by 5:30- 5:45 he starts gobbling. I have been giving him a few soft yelps on my slate call, just to give him an idea a hen is near. Once it starts getting light I can see him up in the tree gobbling his head off and looking around. And every morning when he flys down he goes the other way, and unfournatly because of the lay of the property, I can not run around and cut him off as he is going onto the neighbors land. I dont think i am over calling, I just give hime a few soft yelps to try and entice him and make him jealous, I also have a jake decoy setup but I guess he dosent see it? Any ideas guys? Im going out again tomorrow morning and I would really like to take him before the other hunters do!

Thanks
Matt

redarrow

First off let me say welcome to OG.  Don't set so close. If you can see him ,he can see you. Rather he see's where your calling from and doesn't see any hens.

TRKYHTR

Get in there a little earlier. Set up where he normally flies down to. Don't put out a decoy or call. Wait until he hits the ground until you call, soft clucks and yelps. You will kill him.

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

belcikmj

Thanks for the responses! so how close should I get? I could go sit under the tree  he roosts in if I wanted. Allot of people have been saying to back out farther but getting even closer sounds like a better idea. So get in earlier, and get as close as possible, and dont call till he hits the ground?

TRKYHTR

If you have been within 70 yards while he is in the tree you should know where he flies down to. Get within shooting distance of that area or between that area and the way he has been going after flydown. Don't call till his feet hit the ground. Good luck,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

DirtNap647

belcikmj

Thanks! the problem is is the past 3 times ive seen him, he flies down onto the neighbors property... Do you guys have any thoughts on the dirty b injured gobbler decoy? I can set it up on the property I hunt where he would for sure see it from his roost? Anybody have any experiences with that decoy or is it just a crock?

MouthCaller

unless you're a stealth ninja there's no way you'll make it all the way to the tree he's sitting in without busting him... go try it at 1 am if you want it will not happen... Do what TRKYHTR said to do you'll get him...

tomstopper

Quote from: TRKYHTR on April 25, 2013, 06:53:25 PM
Get in there a little earlier. Set up where he normally flies down to. Don't put out a decoy or call. Wait until he hits the ground until you call, soft clucks and yelps. You will kill him.

TRKYHTR
:agreed:  :welcomeOG:

belcikmj

Thanks everybody! I appreciate it! Alarm clock is set for 3:30 am, rather than 4. Will give it a try and let you guys know how it goes!

renegade19

land cruiser

I am interested in how this story unfolds. Have nearly identical situation and will follow your advice as well.

belcikmj

I think that old tom reads these forms. He was not roosted in his usual spot. Heard a few far off gobbles so far..

TauntoHawk

Quote from: MouthCaller on April 25, 2013, 09:34:30 PM
unless you're a stealth ninja there's no way you'll make it all the way to the tree he's sitting in without busting him... go try it at 1 am if you want it will not happen... Do what TRKYHTR said to do you'll get him...

I must be Stealth Ninja, get in early before they wake up and I can get as close as I want if I slide in quiet and without using a flashlight. Deer walk around the woods at night under them all the time. My go too tactic on crafty birds is be 50-60yds no further off their tree in the direction they will likely fly down but Ive had numerous times where I've been 30,20 even 8yds from birds in the trees.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MouthCaller

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 26, 2013, 07:46:54 AM
Quote from: MouthCaller on April 25, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

I must be Stealth Ninja, get in early before they wake up and I can get as close as I want if I slide in quiet and without using a flashlight. Deer walk around the woods at night under them all the time. My go too tactic on crafty birds is be 50-60yds no further off their tree in the direction they will likely fly down but Ive had numerous times where I've been 30,20 even 8yds from birds in the trees.
Its way more likely you'll bust one than to set up on the tree he's in... it might not be totally impossible but its highly unlikely...