OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The TOMBSTONE TOM!

Started by flintlock, April 24, 2013, 03:54:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flintlock

The gobble brought immediate hope to the start of the hunt!! I immediately gripped the old 12ga double barrel muzzleloader and made my way over a few ridges to within about 100 yards of where the Tom was roosted. After giving him a few yelps to let him know I was there another hen started up across the creek. I matched her calling and the gobbler went nuts. How could you not smile with that!!!

After I heard him fly down I cranked up the calling and he gobbled his guts out. I saw his fan over the crest of the hill, but he was about 35 yards, too far for the traiditional muzzleloader. I tried every move in the book and for 1/2hr he would strut left and right, but a downed tree blocked his final approach to me. He finally decided I wasn't worth the effort and moved up the hill to a clearcut. Once I knew he was over the crest and couldn't see me I quickly made my way to the crest and crawled up behind a blowdown. I called and he HAMMERED but was already 100 yards into the field, stationed by a clump of trees and an old gravesite.  Tombstones stood behind him as the sun glistened off his full fan, what a sight.  The TOMBSTONE TOM continued to Hammer at my calls, but wasn't budging from this hilltop grave site from times-gone-by.

I continued to work him and after swiching to a slate he was All-In and started back my way. When he got to 50 yards I laid the hammers back and at 20 yards, I sealed the deal with a puff of FF and a load of 5 shot.

What a wonderful hunt!  As I stopped to enjoy the springtime redbuds and the greenery kicking in I couldn't help but be thankful for my health and the opportunity to get out in God's great outdoors and for the TOMBSTONE TOM!!

We drove the 45 min to my buddy's friend's place to fish a while and wow what a good lake. The bass were pounding my crankbaits and the landowner mentioned we need to keep a few for dinner. Around the backside of the pond I found a nice shed and hauled my bass out on it. What a day for sure!!!

Good luck if you are after them.
Wess
If you must smoke, please use BLACKPOWDER!

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

eddie234

Excellent. Congrats.

Sent from my ZTE-Z990G using Tapatalk 2

headbanger

Congrats....the kind of day we all wish for in Gods great outdoors!

Shakey Jake

steveo

WOW !   That's a trip that wont be forgoten, spring what a great time of year !  :icon_thumright:.

TRKYHTR

Thats a great day. That gobblers got a man beard. Congrats,

TRKYHTR
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Gold Spur

Congrats Wes on a beautiful bird... :icon_thumright:
Woo Pig Sooie!!!

captin_hook

DirtNap647

JVA54

Shellwaster

If hadn't have just read that I'd think you'd died and gone to heaven. What a great day you had, congrats man you must be living right.

alloutdoors

Congrats! Sounds like a great day!

beagler

Never Misses

renegade19